Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very Newbie!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't tell anyone, but when I was a kid, I was taught how to knit and handsew. Never learned crocheting.

Getting back to the forum input, yes, there is a lot of trial and error! Sometimes one's results are not necessarily the variables that one puts into it, but simply a matter of hardiness of a given plant.... or the neglect thereof, by Lowes, Home Depot,....

The Yarn Nerd aka VFT Gal krochetnkat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and it always makes my heart fall to the floor to see the VFTs at Walmart. It is obvious that they aren't well taken care of and you see parents letting their children tripthe traps. It is amazing any of those poor babies survive!!! If I had the money I would buy them all just to get them out of there, sadly tho, that just makes it to where they go and get more
    The Yarn Nerd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found terraforums through the link in barry's site. We are laid back here (not so much me lately… but that’s a story for another time) and you can ask away- the search feature is a pain and i have never seen anyone get angry about people not searching. If you can google it, great, if not, thats what we are here for
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome, welcome! As so many have said already (and better than me, I might add,) prepare to get entrenched in this great hobby (and for some of us, lifestyle.)

Yes, and it always makes my heart fall to the floor to see the VFTs at Walmart. It is obvious that they aren't well taken care of and you see parents letting their children tripthe traps. It is amazing any of those poor babies survive!!! If I had the money I would buy them all just to get them out of there, sadly tho, that just makes it to where they go and get more
    One of the things you learn to appreciate in this hobby is innovation. The great innovation for this case being our friend tissue culture (AKA "TC".) Today, if you see a plant at Lowes, Home Depot, or any other store where it will probably bought by someone who will kill it (if it's luckly enough to make it that far,) you can at least console yourself with the fact that these plants weren't just ripped out of their natural habitats and put on the shelves to die. Thanks to tissue culture, both the uninformed and the learning can afford to kill a few of these guys without doing damage to the gene pool of VFTs in general.

A life is still a life, but at least in the case of the Superstore VFT it doesn't represent the destruction/poaching of a natural habitat.

I'm sure you'll be getting "vomitted" on by year-old Sarracenia pitchers as you "prune" them in no time! Yum! Glad to have you here.
    ¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh god.. nothing worse than pruning sarracenia to discover a nice family of maggots.

What you do is wait until they are almost dead then buy them all for 75% off

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if 75% of the ones you buy at a discount die, do you save any money?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

The Yarn Nerd aka VFT Gal krochetnkat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    But if 75% of the ones you buy at a discount die, do you save any money?
    I think that it is probably fairly safe to say that I am no where near qualified to take dying plants and heal them :P I am doing everything I can to keep healthy ones alive!!!
    The Yarn Nerd

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    I found terraforums through the link in barry's site. We are laid back here (not so much me lately… but that’s a story for another time) and you can ask away- the search feature is a pain and i have never seen anyone get angry about people not searching. If you can google it, great, if not, thats what we are here for
    Even if it is already posted somewhere (which it probably is) it will give us all something to debate and fight over again!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast