What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

im new

• Thread starter disco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    send

disco

aqua teen hunger force assemble!!
i'm new

i'm am new to the forum and i am wondering if there is anybody in alabama on here who might be interested in trading or exchanging tips let me know something or send me a list of what you have

Welcome. Why only Alabama?

Welcome to TF! As Clint implied, we share plants with each other, from all over the US, including Alaska & Hawaii.

I am curious... do you like Disco music? If so, I just happen to have a 4- CD set of the best of Disco. If not.... I still have that CD set!

Where in Alabama? That's home for some of our favorite CPs.

Hello and welcome. We have a forum specifically for new members to introduce themselves if you'd like to pop by there. :)

Are you looking for a local CP buddy? As for trading, people do that all over the country.

reply to the im new thread

not just alabama anywhere really i was referred to this site by wickedthistle if any of yall know her we have been e-mailing back and forth i am in central alabama good spot for maintaining lots of plants :D and no i don't really like disco lol its actually shortend from my yahoo name disco_bloodbath and thats actually a book :| lol appreciate the offer tho lol

Does it count if I've done environmental sampling in Alabama? I was in that Quad Cities area - Tuscumbia, Muscle Shoals, Florence, and ? Go Tide!

SWEET JESUS DISCO BLOODBATH IS AWESOME! Book was way better than Party Monster though.

YAY! You're just like me except a girl!

lol i am an auburn fan lol 5 baby!!!!!!!!!! wooohooo lol (most overly used word online is lol obviously) but i can understand muscle shoals area tide fans up there i like to watch alot of college football tho to me it's more fun to watch than NFL what exactly do you do jim i think is your name i will correct it if i am wrong in a sec

This was several years ago, when I was an Environmental Scientist. People like me did a lot of travelling to take samples (water, soil,...), as well as air monitoring, and a few other outdoorsy things. Anyhoo, another guy and me took a bunch of smaples at a natural gas pipeline company in that area.

Scott is my real name but I adopted the name of Jim in college. Unfortunately, I went to college with a buddy of mine who introduced me to her new friends as Scott, while I was introducing myself as Jim. When the circles of friends began to intersect, the confusion was reconciled by calling me "Jim-Scott". That confusion has continued since. Hence the forum name of jimscott.

Yeah, I've been a Tide fan (as well as Sooner & Irish) since I was in junior high. How did you come up with Disco? Do you like Disco music?

Wicked Thistle is a great friend! When I was brand new to the forums she helped me out with my camera issues. Soon thereafter she was sending me plants. A year ago, while traveling to California, I was staying near where she lives and got to spend a few hours together, giving me a tour of Burbank and her CP collection.

thats cool i actually came across michelles website in a google search and i e-mailed her and she told me to check the terra forums so here i am lol i am happy because they have darlingtonia at my local lowes as well some drosera i am going to look later and see if there is anything spectacular already know i'm gonna buy at least 3 plants i also have some darlingtonia sarracenia dionaea drosera growing from seed in the fridge right now i get to take them out in april the instructions are what i am going by have you grown any of these from seed and are they difficult? i am prolly gonna post a new thread in the forum and see what kinds of responses i get to the instructions lol

Last edited:
Growing from seeds, in my opinion, is painfully slow. Although leaf cuttings can fail, I find that to be a preferable approach to propogating them. All I do is pull a leaf, with as much of the white part (basal) as I can and place that part in the soil media, which for me is live long fibered sphagnum (LFS) and place at a light source. Some people cover them. I have had success without doing so.

SWEET JESUS DISCO BLOODBATH IS AWESOME! Book was way better than Party Monster though.

YAY! You're just like me except a girl!

Party Monster was extremely disturbing.

if you think party monster was disturbing read the book......i like fact based books especially crimes...of course i am not gonna run out in drag and kill somebody lol thats not in my character at all.....just the fact that it was a true story is what caught my attention :D

lol, Dang I guess I'm a little late to this post...happy belated welcome!

Heya, just had to pop in to say hi! Glad you decided to join the forums!

Welcome aboard! I'll have to look up those books.

xvart.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I do seeds every winter, and by the time the sarracenia are 3 years old, they are already flowering instead of the usual, same old way, wait for 5 to 7 years for a mature plant. Heck, Tony's S. alata Stone County, Mississippi seedlings has one blooming now, and it isn't yet three. It's all in how you do it. You guys can grow year round, have mature plants in half the time, and on your way to seed heaven in a really short time. I have given winter growing instructions before. Shall I sticky them in the pitcher plant forum?? Anyone interested???

Me! Me! ME!

Just one?? Not much of a response! I will give you some of the best info I've got! So if you want a sticky, better give a shout or I will just continue with my growing ways with young, mature, seeding plants. BUDS!!!!!!!! BTW, Tony's S. alata has a rhizome 2 1/2 inches wide, and is standing at 14". Not bad for only two plus years. (It will be three years old, this year in November.)

Back