What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from Mid-Michigan

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
Greetings from Mid-Michigan!

I’ve been lurking here for a couple months now and thought it a good time to join in on the fray.

I’m a newbie to the CP world. I’ve had VFT’s on and off over the years but always managed to kill them pretty quickly. The store-bought VFT that I have now survived the winter in a cold spare bedroom with only a cheapie full-spectrum “mood light” for a light source. It even managed to capture three kinds of bugs on its own when I’ve never ever seen a bug in that room! :)

I’d like to develop a small collection of different CP. Perhaps a dozen or so of the easier to grow varieties. (I’m still trying to learn the confusing Latin names.) I have done a lot of online research on CP and I think I have some of the basics of CP care & growing covered.

My current living conditions might be a little unique… I live in a two-bedroom apartment (flat) with the majority of windows facing exactly North-West. And two of the windows have an over-hang above them. The most direct sunlight I get is in the spring/summer when the sun is setting. So receiving direct sunlight in a sufficient amount is a big problem.

Being in Mid-Michigan means I only get good outdoor growing temperatures like four months of the year. So, it looks like I’ll be using indoor grow-lights for the majority of the time.

Anyway, that’s my story. I’m sure I’ll be asking a lot of questions to the more experienced members here. Thanks for listening!! (and reading...)

:welcome: and enjoy your stay. Hope you learn a lot!

Welcome to TF!

Welcome... or Yo as I like to say

:banana2:

(Sorry, couldn't resist that)

Howdy! Welcome to the "fray!"

xvart.

Hello. I live almost in Zone 5, or Zone 4. I live on the WI/MN Border, right on the middle of it. Cool to see someone near me :).

I started growing CP's about 3 months ago, and I've managed to get 50 of them, only three are looking bad! (One Nep, all it's leaves are dead except a new one, my Heliamphora has turned a beautiful shade of um... 'burnt sienna' and my Byblis died back to it's roots, which are still healthy and thick.

Michigan, MN, WI, all the states that are cooooold aren't that bad actually. For instance... your plants can be outside for

March (if temps don't drop below 20F or so, so, waiting until mid-late March would be best)
April (Temps will NOT go below 20, I doubt they will hit 30F even on the coldest night)
May (warmed up)
June (Hawt.)
July (Hawt.)
August (Still pretty hawt.)
September (Very warm still. No temps below 65F usually.)
October (Cooling down, but, plants should be getting to dormancy soon.)
November (The entire month, probably, temps usually don't go down that low yet.)
December (part of it, maybe not ALL of it, usually temps go down to the teens, not single digits usually)

The months you need to keep them inside is January and February and half-most of December and about half or so of March, it only gets the -20's and stuff in January and February and parts of December. Plus, nothing is better than the outside to make the plants dormant!

If you need help, just ask around!

Welcome to the forum!

Jerry

Welcome Fryster! :welcome: Glad to have you aboard the Good Ship CP. :D

You can learn a lot by floating around here. Hope you join in.

NeciFix...what is "hawt"?? ???

Thanks all!!

Good pointers NeciFix. Sounds like we have things in common. ('cept I'm a noob) ;)

I'm waiting for the plant stand with grow-lights that I had ordered a week ago. I have some cheapie Lowe's 'boxes 'o death' to throw under it. Even a sickly Darlington C. that I'm sure will die soon. :( oh well..........

Back