What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

newbie from saskatchewan, canada

hi, i'm brand-spanking-new, to these forums and to the world of Carnivorous Plant Obsession. i love plants in general -- the living room is FULL of them due to a large south-facing window, and all other windows that have light/room have something hanging/sitting nearby. i also grew up on an acreage with a huge garden, but alas, i live in the city now, and only have space for a few much smaller beds in my backyard. a while ago i decided i would like to try growing a VFT, and remembering back to one my family had in my youth (it died) i thought i should read up about how to take care of it properly. i happened to come across a few websites with information about other carnivorous plants, and grew fascinated! thus, a new cp enthusiast was born -- there's no turning back!

i live in saskatchewan, canada -- any other canadians/prairie dwellers around? i have been looking at various threads/sites about overwintering bogs and would like to try it here, for sarrs and maybe hardy drosera. the temperature here reaches 30C (86F) in summer, and -40 in winter. so i think it will be a challenge :) but i know that there ARE some varieties of sarrs/sundews that grow in the national park which is even farther north than me, so there must be some that can survive here!

i would also love to grow some less-outdoor-hardy, but still fairly forgiving, neps, VFTs and pings indoors (some can go outside for sunshine during the summer and be taken in for winter). i am sooo excited about it -- i have been setting up a spot for a terrarium, making lists of neps and sarrs that are the most tolerant/hardy, planning where to sink a large tupperware tub full of plants, and drooling over the catalogues of the few canadian distributors of cps that i can find online.

i don't have any plants yet :( i am pretty broke right now and can't afford to place a large enough order to take advantage of express shipping costs. but i thought i would introduce myself to these forums anyway, after lurking here for weeks, so that i can start asking questions and be even more prepared for when i can finally get some :)

and that's my story.
danielle :)

Welcome! It hardly even freezes where I live so it's hard to imagine -40!

A warm welcome to Terraforums!!! :)

- Jeff

A warm welcome is a terrible thing to say as Canada is so cold! I would know! =)

Hehe, welcome! I live in Northern Wisconsin. CP Growing rocks!

Ask any questions if need be.

Welcome to the forum!

Jerry

Welcome aboard! I see you've already found dom's post about his bog garden in Canada, so it looks like you've already found some great resources here.

xvart.

Welcome to TF! I think I've seen the forum name somewhere before, though. Anyhoo, you may want to contact some of our Canadian hobbyists, like Mabudon, Sib, Vraev, Dom,....

You may also want to check out a Canadian forum, as a good source for obtaining plants:

http://ocps.proboards78.com/index.cgi

Welcome to Terraforums! Glad to have you!

Welcome to TF, Danielle! :banana2:

-Ben

Hello Danielle and welcome to TF

Back