Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Howdy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howdy!

Hey everyone, i hail from Eugene Oregon, am 19 years old, and currently going to college for video-game design...
    When i lived back in the country (kind of a farmer/cowboy i suppose), i grew VFTs. The only type i haven't grown are bladder warts and the aqua-type, but they do look very interesting. My favorite are sundews, but right now i am occupying myself with three traditional VFTS, a bigmouth, an aiki-ryu, and a lil one i bought from wal-mart on a whim (my current oldest). I'll post pictures of them tomorrow when the sun is better and post them here.

Well, after i moved from the country to the city, i took my plants with me. One winter, my mom saw their 'dead' husks, and mistook dormancy for outright death. She threw them all away one day while i was at school, and even after recovering them from the trash-can, they never made it to spring, and i lost about 12 plants. (4 pitchers, 4 sundews, and 4 VFTs).
    I lost the heart to get new ones and to grow them. It was like seeing my children thrown away (i had the oldest of them for 5 years, but all of them had been in my care for at least 3 years each).

Well that was a about 3 years ago, and i'm getting back into the saddle now. On a whim i picked up a sickly VFT from wal-mart and brought it back around - its actually two separate traps, but from the same root system - both of them are shooting up their stems for flowers right now, and I'm content to let them.
    I bought some plants from a random online nursery - i didn't study much into it, as i wasn't sure if i was serious. Well, both of them died about a week after shipping due to a poor root system, so i scrapped them and just took care of my one trap.
    Feeling good and after freshly reading what i needed to out of "Savage Garden", i ordered two more traps and have been caring for them for nearly a month. One of them is a big-mouth VFT, and the other is either a red piranha, or an aiki ryu, or a crossbreed ( i lean crossbreed because of the long stem and short teeth).
    I took up growing roses (about 8 of them) during my time away from VFTs, and was somewhat successful (they are alive and blooming now), but there's just something about carnivorous plants that excites and mystifies me.

I won't ever claim to be the best at husbandry, but i know enough to get things somewhat happy. I'll post pictures of my babies tomorrow when lighting is better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back Ridetsu! I myself am back as well after a short break from the hobby - I'm sure you'll get your CP legs back in no time...let the addiction begin (again)!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums! haha...people always come back. Once you get bitten by the CP bug...you're hooked forever, even if you take breaks.

Glad to see you return and I hope the next journey is even more fun than the last.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard! Make yourself at home.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Babies!

Well, i got some pictures of my babies and am gonna post them. First up is my Big-mouth - exactly as i hope to get them - short leaf, large trap, and kinda bushy. I want more of them, several more :3

next up is my wal-mart recovery project. They didn't water it good enough, and it had very poor sunlight (they had it indoors.. INDOORS!). After i got it, it took about a month of recovery before pushing up a stem for its flower. Its traps weren't looking good initially, and i was worried it might end up killing the traps and eventually dying out, but if it felt it could bloom and seed, i wasn't going to stop it.

Next up is something a bit of a mystery to me. I think its a hybrid of an aiki ryu, and a red piranha... ryu because of its long, thin stem; and piranha from its short, saw-like teeth and its quick closing traps. Either way, i love its color - deep red with green around the lips/teeth. raarrr!

so these are my babies... my preference to them is short leaves with large traps - but they all are beautiful! I do want to get more big-mouths, and create a small above-ground bog with (hopefully) 6-8 traps in it, along with maybe some drosera.. but who knows!
    ~The Fallen and Forgotten~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another one from Oregon! Those are some nice pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    us oregonians just have green thumbs it seems :3
    ~The Fallen and Forgotten~