Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: San Diego Nep Newb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few more pics. The first one is of 3 baby Cephs I have. I'm sure some of you can guess where I got these. I believe they are seed grown but I'm not positive. I ordered two, but after a few months I chopped the larger of the two up and made 4 more plants out of it lol (5 total from that clump and 1 original untouched clump) . They have all rooted too, so now I'm just giving them time. None of them have any non-carnivorous leaves? I thought this was a bit strange, but maybe it is because they're so young? Anyway the second pic is a close up of one of the clumps I cut off the larger original Cephs. It seems to have grown some algae or something green on the perlite. I did some freshwater flushing in case anything was built up, but I'm thinking this is normal and a result of the splitting of the ceph. With the clump splitting came a chunk of moss that was growing in the ceph. Note on the second pic the moss is actually growing from inside the tiny ceph pitcher. I have no idea what is normal and what isn't, so occasionally I will flush to make sure any toxins are diluted/washed away, and I figured I would check around for some answers. Any comments would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know what kind of moss is growing around these cephs? I have not had live LFS before, so I'm not sure if this is it, or one of the other 10,000 moss types. It is also fairly small.

The bottom right Ceph is the untouched Clump. The top Ceph is what's left of the chopped up clump, and the one on the left is one of the rooted cuttings. The Perlite from the original Cephs is still white compared to the cutting... ? It actually seems like there is two types of mosses on the bottom right Ceph; some sort of blanket moss and a fiberous moss. Note the longer strand growing around the Ceph on the left.

This closeup of the cutting shows the moss growing out of the pitcher fairly well. At first I thought I was trippin, but it really is growing from inside. (2nd pitcher from the right)

This is a Nepenthes I picked up the other day from a Nursery here in San Diego. So far they are the only place I have been able to find a Nep locally, that isn't some TC abomination in a plastic sarcophagus. I believe it to be N. Ventrata but correct me if I'm wrong. I actually picked up a few of these for around the house. For 15 bucks you can't go wrong. This one has a fair amount of red to it, whereas the other one has much more green.

Here is my Rajah struggling and making me look bad. Note: It is not potted in pure bark, i used extra bark to fill up the top. I believe it is a 1/1/1 peat perlite bark mix underneath. It has grown just as slow as my cephs (received around the same time), and while my truncata and ventricosa have nearly tripled in size in the same time (also received together), the Rajah may have opened a couple leaves. San Diego is pretty hot tho...

Here is my Nepenthes Gymnamphora. I got it about a month ago. It came with a woody stem, and it seems like they clipped the vine because it made a basal rosette. The supplied pitcher was crushed in the mail (just like my raff yay! ) but the plant seems to be doing fine. The largest pitcher on it right now is larger than the newest one, but I think that is because it is splitting its energy amongst new growth. There is actually two basals, but one is obscured by a leaf.

Here is my N. Marbled Dragon. I have had this Nep the longest, as well as my Sabre, and it is my favorite pitcher so far. That is, until I get my Hamata

Imma try to get some better pics of my other plants up, and maybe get rid of the bright blood red walls. This is our weight room so the red is for a good pump. The blinding hundreds of watts from the grow rack dont really help though. I think I might have to annex the room as a grow room instead. If I could do that I would get a swamp cooler for sure and grow Highlanders better. All comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated =)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! What's under the covers? Unless they are acclimating to new conditions, they oughta be exposed to the air, to prevent mold and etiolation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey jim. Theres a couple sundews and some N.Ventricosas under there. As well as some Nep Cuttings that are being rooted. There is also some LFS in there. The tops are open-vented and they get opened a couple times a day. I haven't had a problem with mold so far. Thanks for the advice though =).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, get rid of the aquariums! San Diego is coastal enough to have good humidity unless you are well inland. Just grow them on the grow rack you have!

Welcome to the forums and the crazy world of nepenthes!

Max
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Max thx for the input I do plan to get rid of the tanks but right now average humidity is around 40%. The temperature is also very hot right now, so I figured I would keep the humidity high (~85%) as I heard this helps Neps cope with hot weather. I live in the 92126 area code, which is fairly inland. I figured I would wait until it cools down some to lose the tanks. Do you think this is a good idea? I can spray the plants a few times a day, but it seems the humidity will still stay low even on the grow rack. Thx again, all input is appreciated.

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Sehtnepen, I was going to ask if you were inland a bit. It does make a difference. Still I think only the most picky of nepenthes should need a tank in your conditions. I've found nepenthes to really like moving air and circulation. They just seem happier. Try it with one or two and see how it goes! The weather should start cooling down soon anyway.

Let us know how it goes!

Max
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a Nepenthes I picked up the other day from a Nursery here in San Diego.
    Would that be Walter Anderson nursery? Because that's where I got my ventrata.
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast