What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anna

carnivorus plant collector
Hi All:

My name is Anna and I just joined this forum today. I learned about this forum from another forum I belong to www.epiforums.com. Anyways, I started collecting carnivorous plants about a year ago, and I really enjoy the diversity that they bring to my garden. I mainly have sarracenia's, flytraps and a few sundews/nepenthes. Recently I also picked up an cephalotus and heliamphora.
I live in NW PA with my husband and 2 kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
:welcome: Glad to have you :)

I clicked on the site and saw a couple of familiar names. Man, some people must be on like a dozen sites! Welcome to TF!. You're a little south of me. I'm hailing from Erie County, NY.

Hi Anna! Welcome!

PA, eh? Not too far away - I'm just a bit north of NYC.

Welcome, Anna!

xvart.

JimScott: :nono: :slap:

:welcome: Anna =) What kind of Neps do you have?

Hello Anna! Glad you decided to come join us. :)

:welcome: Anna =) What kind of Neps do you have?
Hi:

Right now I have a huge unknown nepenthes that I bought at the local nursery. The pitchers on it were at least 6". It grew very well for me, however I only got one pitcher on it this summer. I dont think it was humid enough for it here. I also have nepenthes tentatculata. It is very small but its growing. I also have a wooly sundew, spoonleaf sundew and one I believe is called Marsden dragon. It was a freebee so Im not sure that is its name. I have them all under grow lights right now, they seem to be doing OK. I took all my sarracenia & flytraps in for the winter. Last spring, I rescued a cobra plant from a "big box" store, and I couldnt believe how good it did here. I thought for sure it wouldnt live since its a fussy plant. It will be interesting to see if it will make it through the winter.

How are you keeping the cobra lil? Which wooly sundew do you have? The spoonleaf sundew is also called D. spatulata. Marston Dragon is a D. binata type. local nurseries are likely to have N. ventrata, but that doesn't guarantee it. Can you post pictures?

Very cool Anna. I have been wanting a Cobra Lily for quite some time now. I really want a tentaculata as well :). As to the uknown nep, as jimscott said, if you post some pics we can help you ID it.

Hi All:

I will try and post my photo's. RIght now the cobra is in a semi heated garage with the rest of my sarracenia's. I grew it in a clay orchid pot since they like their roots cool. I put it in my pond where the water fall was and on the days with 90 degrees I put ice cubes in the water. I hope it makes it through the winter.

Both cobra lily and Sarracenias are temperate plants and go through a winter dormancy. Last year I had my plants in the attic for the winter, right at a window sill. The only heat the attic has is what it draws from the apartment. It gets pretty cold up there, probably close to freezing. My point is that they need to be in that 30-40 degree range for the winter.

Back