Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy New Year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome
    I like orchids but why wait for flowers when you can have nepenthes pichters all the time
    I have a few orchids though like 2

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do part time cashiering at Home Depot and I've seen the care that CP's get. Almost nbody in garden knows how to take care of them. Perhaps someone may have had a VFT but it is likely that their plant died in the same manner as most of our first did - any combination of inadequate lighting; feeding it hamburger; keeping the plastic dome on; tap water;.... At the store the better ones were likely to have been picked over. As time went on the plants either got inadequate light or tap water or both. Bottom line, they end up in the trash because they've been neglected / mistreated for too long. I highly doubt that they had the opportunity to naturally go dormant. Obviously, this is all conjecture on my part, having not seen the plants or the care taken.... but if I were a "betting man", I'd say the plants need nursing back to health.

I don't see the temperature fluctuation as an issue, but I would keep the VFT(s?) hydrated, lit, and open to the air. And then I would wait it out.

I do hear ya about not wanting to tinker with conditions too much. I've had my share of killing plants by doing too much tweaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the insider info! They're going under the lights with the neps tonight. Two of the pots look like goners but one is definitely showing signs of life. This is actually my first vft experience and I really appreciate the tips on making it a good one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Dr G! I hope your VFTs pull through. It's always great to have new people on the forum .
    - Daniel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12