Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy New Year

Well, one of my New Year's resolutions was to quit being a creepy lurker and actually start posting so...Hi!

I started growing neps about a year ago after they were recommended to me as good companion plants for orchids and eventually ended up giving away the orchids so I could concentrate on cps! I've got ventricosa, truncata (highland), and ephippiata growing very happily in the old orchid setup and I plan to try more species once the weather stops being so brutal. I also recently got what I hope are a couple of vft's from the trash at Home Depot when I bought my Christmas tree. The label just says "Carnivorous $5.99" but the dead leaves are definitely vft. There's a little green nubby center in one of the pots so I'm hoping they're just dormant plants being mistaken for dead. I flushed the media with melted snow and put them right up against the window where it tends to stay in the 40s during the winter and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. You all have been so helpful in getting me started with my collection!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see someone so enthusiastic! Welcome girlfreind (interesting name)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Girlfriend View Post
    ended up giving away the orchids so I could concentrate on cps!
    Excellant! Thats the way to do it!

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, one of my New Year's resolutions was to quit being a creepy lurker and actually start posting so...Hi!
    Great resolution! Welcome to TF. How large is your N. ephippiata? Any hairs growing out of the lid yet? I have one and I particularly am fond of it as it is quite vigorous.

You all have been so helpful in getting me started with my collection!
    Awwwe. How nice. I'm guessing you skipped over all the bickering in the General Discussion forum before saying that, lol.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there!

I love it when lurkers come out of the dark.

Good...you're on your way. Won't be long before you have a bunch o' CPs. :-)

Join in and have fun!

And happy new year!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *scratchy man voice* Welcome! I LOVE Venture Bros!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! I would provide more than window sill light for the VFT's, if possible. They might be dormant or they might be terribly neglected plants. Either way, the photoperiod is now increasing and between nursing it back to health and having the new growing season at hand, I would supplement the lighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ephippiata is just a wee thing right now and it's still making the generic baby nep pitchers. I only got it a few months ago but it's suprised me with its vigor too! It puts out new leaves at about the same rate as the truncata, although without the exponential size increase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JustLikeAPill: LOL! I was wondering if someone would get the reference!

jimscott: I've been debating how much I should meddle with them right now. I was planning on putting them with the neps after they come out of dormancy but I don't want to wake them up too soon (if they really are dormant). The photoperiod for the neps is 12 hours a day and it's quite a bit warmer, although at night the temps drop can into the 50s. Do you think it's okay to warm them up now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast