What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone
I have been reading through a few threads on here and have already learned tonnes.
This is a great forum

Im a real newby and am very good at killing carnivorous plants.
The highlight of my life as a carniverous plant addict was visiting and climbing Mt Kinabalu

So far I have not killed these plants: (my collection consists of plants Im going to kill and plants I have already killed)

Darlingtonia
Cepholotus (its flowering!, Does that mean it will die soon?)
Nepenthes alata (god knows how I will keep that alive through the winter)
various unidentified Sarracenia
Drosera capensis (all seedlings I killed the parent)
Drosera alicae ( 1 seedling See above)
drosera stenopeta
arctuarii
intermedia
anglica
binata
Pinquicularia grandiflora
Venus fly trap

Any way I joined this forum to learn how to kill the plants more slowly

Last edited:
Im a real newby and am very good at killing carnivorous plants.
A very generous member here (transaction on another forum though) hooked me up with a LOT of plants of quite the variety when I first started. I killed all of them in under 4 months. Made me realize why I love neps so much...they're easy! (for me)

I'M SO JEALOUS you got to go to nep habitat and especially climb Kinabalu. I'm really into hiking/climbing as well as neps, so that's a dream I one day hope to realize.

I don't think your ceph will die because it's flowering. Someone may correct me on this though. I only grow neps!
As for the alata, can you bring it inside and put it in a windowsill? If its true alata, it can take decently low temps. If its ventrata, a nuclear bomb wouldn't kill it.
I've certainly killed my share of stuff (ESPECIALLY Drosera).

hahaha. Welcome to TF

Hi Kinabalufan, welcome to forum

Muscipula59

When I stumbled onto the discussion forums my motivation was to keep the plants alive for more that 3 months! I have some that are now 3 YEARS old. but I still kill some plants... It's a learning curve we all go through. Some don't get through it and give up.

Welcome!

I think that we've all killed plants at one time or another; it's all part of the learning experience.

I compare all the killed plants against all the rescued sickly plants from local grocery and department stores. ;) THINK POSITIVE!! :-O

Welcome!

The highlight of my life as a carniverous plant addict was visiting and climbing Mt Kinabalu

I am jealous. I bet it was fantastic. Did you take many (any) pictures? I'm sure more than Phission and I would be delighted to see them!

Heh. It's all about perspective, isn't it?

Welcome!!! I visited New Zealand a while back... I loved the place. I see you have a
D. Arcturi. Do you have any advice about growing that species?

Your at the right place ! There are many ways I've found to kill CP's in my experience. Try them all at least once and learn from that !! Let me count the ways, kindness, extra attention, too much water, not enough water, VACATION, ignoring, forgetting, frustration, I gotta get rid of some of these things, droping the entire back end of a tray full on the floor (that gets me the most, don't move the last pot that is balancing that tray on the edge !)

Anyway welcome !

Thanks for the welcome guys this really is a great forum being a CP grower in dunedin is rather lonely because not many people even think you can grow any here. I love CP's for the obvious reasons- they are just soo cool! but also for the challange if they were too easy I would not feel the same satisfaction.
Phissionkorps it says alata on the label so who knows ifs it is or not I will try and figure out how to put photos on here and maybe you can tell me if its correct or not. Its on my window sill right now because I thought its too hot and bright in my main glasshouse. I mist it everytime I walk past and its standing on some gravel which I keep wet. The idea behind that is that its not standing in water but it gets the humidity from the gravel. Will that work? I did rescue it from a garden center it was sitting in water when I bought it and also a caterpiller had eaten all the lids off grrr. The caterpiller is now drowned in one of the pitchers, so will be providing some slight nutrition in compensation.
Xvart: I took lots of photos we were the last off the mountain as I spent a lot of time taking photos my half finished website has the photos of the neps I saw
http://alpine-plants-of-the-world.110mb.com/kinabalu.htm
Kinabalu is the most amazing mountain for plants
Jefforever I am not really one too give advice but I think keeping arcturii cool and bright sun and winter dormancy are important.
droseraguy Im the master of the slow death I love drosera as much as any cp but they seem to be real tricky when it comes to watering dropping a tray full would be half my collection gone.

Welcome to the forums. Nice sense of humor :) Always nice to have another good hearted person around.

Back