What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey! My name is Shaun, I'm 16, and I'm from Oregon. I'm new to CP's (as the title states) I got my first seeds for christmas and they are all doing well. Right now I have some plants in a 10gal. and a few others in separate containers.

Here is what I have so far:

Dionaea muscipula
Sarracenia Leucophylla
Sarracenia purpurea
Darlingtonia californica
Mimosa pudica - Not Carnivorous
Desmodium gyrans - Not Carnivorous

The 10gal.
DSC03200.jpg

DSC03202.jpg

Grass...
DSC03203.jpg

Dionaea muscipula
DionaeaMuscipula-3-03-081.jpg

Darlingtonia californica?
DarlingtoniaCalifornica-3-03-082-Fl.jpg

Mimosa pudica and Desmodium gyrans containers (germinating)
DSC03204.jpg

Mimosa pudica - 2 days after sowing seeds
MimosaPudica-3-03-082.jpg

MimosaPudica-3-03-084.jpg

Mimosa pudica - 3 days after sowing seeds (today)
MimosaPudica-4-03-083.jpg

MimosaPudica-4-03-085.jpg

MimosaPudica-4-03-084.jpg

And my favorite...
MimosaPudica-4-03-081.jpg

Thanks for looking!

welcome! your setup looks pretty good!

thats not a darlingtonia seedling. is a sarr seedling of some kind.

Alex

welcome! your setup looks pretty good!

thats not a darlingtonia seedling. is a sarr seedling of some kind.

Alex

Thanks, I wasn't sure what species each seedling was so I just guessed (I have 3 different species of pitcher plant in there right now...). So, it is either Sarracenia Leucophylla or Sarracenia purpurea.

Shaun

hey you can skip the sarracenia and venus flytraps first dormancy since they are seedlings.
I skipped mines first dormancy and I am acclimating them to full sun.Its nice to see other people start growing carnivorous plants.
your terrarium it looks a bit wet you should add some perlite to it for some aeration and drainage.
oh and seriously think about getting a nepenthes I know andy has some decent sized plants for sale.

welcome. VFT's can skip dormancy for even the first 2 yrs as I am doing with my seedlings. its fine. it gives them a chance to gain size fast.

welcome. VFT's can skip dormancy for even the first 2 yrs as I am doing with my seedlings. its fine. it gives them a chance to gain size fast.

Good to know I wasn't sure about that extra year.
hey this is an example of a sanguinea you would recieve from Andy
storesangu.JPG

sanguinea is a ideal starter nepenthes and is forgiving of mistakes.

Welcome to TF!

Welcome to the forum! I like the way you improvise on labeling your seedlings. :D

WElcome to Terraforums Shaun. Dont worry, 5 plants will turn to 50 before you know it! :D

do think of adding something to the media pure peat moss is just to wet,too much water retention and little aeration is a :nono:

do think of adding something to the media pure peat moss is just to wet,too much water retention and little aeration is a :nono:

i find it AOK for Sarracenia and VFTs... but it the water level is too high(which for you it isnt) vfts will tend to rot a bit and not grow correctly.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Don't worry about it. In my 10gal. it's just a little damp, not wet. However, in my Mimosa Pudica containers it is a little wet (trying to get the humidity up for germination), but they're doing great (in one container 18 out of 20 seeds have sprouted with the other two close behind). Once the seedlings get larger and more established I will most likely be re-planting them in pots.

*On a side note, it's only my first week here and I already got a spam PM from another member to buy things...:-(

-Shaun

Welcome aboard. I didn't have the patience to start growing from seed. Not enough initial reward for starting a hobby. Good luck!

xvart.

Good start. The learning curve may be a bit steep, as most start off with adult plants. Research the information on this site and you'll do fine.

Phil

Welcome! :Welcome: Oregon is awsome!!!

Thanks guys!

I'll have to get some new pictures up, the pitcher plants are getting big. Unfortunately, none of the cobra lilly seedlings made it, and a few fly traps have died...

Hmmm, I think the plant you think is a cobra lilly is actually a Sarracenia minor. I'm not sure if seedlings look all the same, though, I've never grown them from seed. Welcome to TF!

Back