Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Drosera owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my capensis have never curled around things as small as gnats. they just stick and only the surrounding tentacles bring it in. but in my smaller capensis they always wrap around gnats. i think there is some sort of leaf size to bug size ratio. the bigger the bug the better the results.

oh...and welcome!

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the warm welcome, fellow CP-ians.
    I took some pics today and I will upload them and put them on here tonight. As far as my plant being D. adelae, I dont think it is. This is because I have looked at pics of adelae and it seems to have a broad leaf. As you will see in the pics that I will post later, my sundew has very narrow leaves, with the traps just on the end. But I will put them up later and let you experts figure it out. And as far as insect-to-leaf size ratio, I was thinking that too. Since my leaves are very narrow, and it has never caught anything larger than a tiny gnat, I figured that either my plant would need to get bigger or start catching bigger prey if I want the curl action. This spring I might try finding something a little larger (im in an office, so I am not gonna go crazy with this) but maybe if I can find a big ant or something I can try that out and see if it wraps around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK as promised here are my pics....

These next 3 were taken after I had the plant for about a week (using my camera phone). Notice how small it was and that many of the leaves didnt even have tentacles for the sticky stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Your pictures settle any disputes what plant it is. Definetly Drosera capensis. Happy growing.
    Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say 'Hey man, I love you this many dollars worth. -Michael Scott, The Office

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is drosera capensis and it will be fine in your office but it does look rather green.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kinda figured that green is the color that it supposed to be

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks fine to me. It might be slightly etoliated because of the low light levels, but it has a nice green color instead of a sickly yellow green color you get from very low light levels. I think what D_muscipula is referring to is the color of the tentacles on the leaves not being a more pronounced red. More light would make the tentacles a darker red.

A couple years ago my daughter had a houseplant with a severe gnat infestation. I put a medium sized Drosera filiformis next to it and after 2 weeks the gnats were reduced to just the occasional one or two and the D. filiformis leaves were almost a solid black from all the gnats stuck to them.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i love dews!!!
    btw i would say thats 'alba' isnt it?
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast