What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from Southern California! My name is Julia and I am a student at UCLA. I grow slipper orchids, paphiopedilums and phragmipediums, cacti, and up until last summer had a fairly substantial collection of pings, cephs, and N. ampullaria. Unfortunately, I entrusted them to a friend while I left and they all died. I couldn't even look at any CPs until last week when I ran across a P. moranensis at the store and remembered just how much I missed them. So here I am, starting at square 1. It's frustrating because the plants that I treasured most, my P. laueana and cephs seem impossiable to find. I'm planning to attend the next Los Angeles Carnivorous Plant Society meeting, so hopefully I can get some help there too. Any how, nice meeting everyone, it's good to share a passion with people.

Here are some of my orchids:
PaphUtgard001-1.jpg

sorcerersapprentence4nxgrande4n004.jpg

rothborneogoldengate20074.jpg

Hi Julia!

I'm also a student at UCLA...
What year are you and what's your major?

I'm a senior, and graduating as an art major, but I am going to grad for landscape architecture. What about you?

Welcome to the forums.

You probably joined here at the right time. In June NASC will hold their annual plant auction here. There is always some rare stuff and I'm sure there will be a couple of cephs.

welcome; hopefully i will be seeing you at the nevt meeting hmmm

I'm a first year bio major, but I'm considering my other options as far as switching majors goes.

Welcome to TF! Ever hear of Jefferson Airplane?

I went to UCLA for eye doctors visits :D
They finally found out what was up with my vision :)
Like 9 doctors later..... The second trip 7 years later got it right :jester:

According to Johnny Carson UCLA when the smog lifts over Southern California!

Welcome. If you come to the next Los Angeles Carnivorous Plant Society meeting, you can rebuild your whole collection in 1 day!

Hi Julia. Welcome to TFs. Lovely orchids!

Jim, Southern California is not THAT smoggy! :D

Definitely make it to the LACPS meetings. Cephalotus are rare to come across but you never know what will turn up. The June meeting will be at the Huntington so don't miss that one either.

Welcome! I hope you can make it to the next LACPS meeting. Their always fun.

Shawn

Welcome. If you come to the next Los Angeles Carnivorous Plant Society meeting, you can rebuild your whole collection in 1 day!

You have no idea how giddy that thought makes me. Especially because I just bought another set of grow lights. Yay! :p

Welcome, fellow Californian! :)

Welcome! :water:

Welcome Julia. Glad to have you here. I've been wanting to take a trip to an LACPS meeting but I just can't seem to find the time to do so. Hopefully I can make it up there sometime in the future. Good luck rebuilding your collection :).

EDIT: PS. VERY nice Orchid pics. They have always looked extremely interesting to me, but I think I am hopelessly addicted to Neps.

Daniel

Hello And Welcome! I Just Got A Cephalotus With Two Pitchers Currently And Love It

Welcome to the forums!

Beautiful orchids! I love orchids too and my favorites are the slipper orchids.

I am considering "releasing" one of my 'Hummer's Giant' baby cephs in the NASC Benefit Auction in June...so there should be at least on ceph up for grabs.

Back