What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi from Southeast Pennsylvania

Hi All,
My name's Nick,(known as 'bluesboy' on this and all other plant forums as well). Been growing CPs for 11 years or so, but have taken much longer to catch on to online side of the CP world- funny though, being part of the 'tech generation'- but anyway, I'm a Horticulture major at Temple University, here in PA. Pretty much I'm into all plants(orchids, cycads, cacti/succulents, perennials, etc etc), not just cps, and my main concern would certainly be conservation oriented, which is not a big surprise in a field where all the cps seem to be disappearing from habitat. Anyway, I'd like to do what I can, even if it's an uphill battle(and I'm sure it always will be). Also, at one point I had a very big collection of CPs, I guess around 300; lots of drosera and neps and heliamphora (cephs for a while too, for all those cephaphiles). Since then, I've been steadily selling plants off, and focusing on propagating from seed, esp. Neps and Drosera. Should have some special nep hybrids that no ones got- in a couple years they should be real nice size. Anyway, my main focus now; Sarracenia, specifically purpurea and rosea. For that reason, I'll be completely breaking up my whole collection, all for trades towards Sarr. purps- I'm pretty dedicated! I'll put the trade plants up in the proper section when I get a sec but it will include some pretty desirable stuff(Mature N. clipeata(real one)/Drosera hilaris/Huge Brocchinia reducta, etc)- stuff I don't want to ship, so I'm going to try to figure out a way to round up any interested locals who've got locality purp.s and go from there. Anyway, enough talk or I'll go on forever. Glad to be a member of one of the biggest forum for cps on the net. Hope to meet y'all, thanks, Nick 'bluesboy'

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Jerry

Welcome.

wow 11 years I started last summer.

im a newb grower going on 2 months, glad you found this place...maybe ill hit you up for information someday, you never know :)

welcome!

~b

Welcome! :)

Steve... he's from SE PA! Tell him about SEPACPS! We moved from the Reading area back to Western NY in 2005.

Welcome to TF!

Welcome! I am now a Jersey guy, but grew up in Bucks Co. I also went to college in Philly......Phil Col of Pharmacy and Science, now University of the Sciences. I am, likewise, interested in a lot of different plants, and biology/ecosystems as a while (in fact, I made it my career!!). As far as Cps, I grow mostly Sarrs, but I can't help you with the location purps. Still, that is a noble goal, and others here can help you! Good luck and have fun!

I noticed your posts & pics over on the ICPS forums. Your prize winning Heli was something else - in addition to your D. regia & Neps...

Sir elgecko is planning for another Pine Barrens camping, exploration, boating excursion this summer. Last year's event was an excellent time to see some native CPs and talk CP with some good people.

Hmmm - it's also starting to look like we may have enough people within an hour or so of the PA/NJ border to try out a summer barbecue .....

Curious why the drastic switch over to the purps - especially when the required real estate is fairly separate...?

Hey i believe i have talked to you at the Philadelphia flower show? Is that so. My name is Brandon. because there was a guy named nick who exhibited some nepenthes, and heliamphoras. A nepenthes predator, and some other really neat nepenthes. I will be transferring into temple ambler this fall hopefully as i am currently a student at community college of Philadelphia.

RL7836- is that barbecue they are having part of the South east PA carnivorous plant society. I haven't been on there lately but i will have to check whats been going on. I would definitely come up for it.

Hi Brandon,
Yep, it's me, the guy you're thinking of- I got your PM too asking as well: yeah- I heard about your success/becoming famous, from some emails Stephen M. sent out from the Philly Gesneriad Society; totally cool. I didn't go to the Flower Show, but too bad I missed your Amorph. konjak- it must have stank up at least half of the convention center! I didn't exhibit at the flower show either- first time in about 6 years... I was starting up a relationship that ended up not working out- me and her were gonna go, but for some reason I wasn't into going this year- hopefully next year. These days I've got nothing good much to show, as I've been selling plants off, especially the ones that would be what I'd put in.... must get a job soon... also- yeah come to Temple Ambler- that's where I'm at/graduating from soon; they've got a good Hort. program, and Delaware Valley College does too, but they're private, and much more expensive, and unless you wanna go into the middle of the state to Penn State, Temple's your best bet.

Also, to answer RL7836: going from lots of different cps to Sarr. purps- yeah, I guess it's kind of weird. The truth is, there are plants that I'm propagating for money, there are plants I have now that are just taking up space, and there are plants that I want, those being S. purps w/ data- I think I really decided that instead of focusing on a lot of plants that were from habitats that I wouldn't truly understand unless I visited(and I'm not planning a Borneo trip anytime soon, although it would be amazing), I want to focus on what I can observe from a practical viewpoint. I finally accepted that it's cool enough that I can travel an hour and see three sp. of Drosera, and Sarr. purp, northern and southern sp. which is really cool to me. So.... I'm going to have a big sale/trade at my house, sort of breaking down most of my collection that's 'taking up space', which will include the Heli. nutans you've seen at the flower show, and the D. regia's, Nep. clipeata- some cool stuff. But I have to figure out how to organize the whole thing, and a way to let everyone who would want to come by know about it, and figure a good time for people. Or else I'd do a first come first serve- yeah there are a lot of plants, almost all of them are pretty rare too... I've prepared a list that I'll put up sometime soon of everything I could think of, and see what feedback I get- the point is that at this point everything that I'd sell are things I don't want to ship, like a huge Brocchinia, a happy clipeata and regia, a million drosera and pings, so I was hoping to have kind of a cp thing here at my house near Philly, and see if anyone/a decent amount of people would be up for it. Anyway, stay tuned, right now I have to finish this semesters work... Thanks all, take care, Nick Haywood 'bluesboy'

Welcome to Terraforums!

I noticed your posts & pics over on the ICPS forums. Your prize winning Heli was something else - in addition to your D. regia & Neps...
I agree, your D. Regia pics on the ICPS forums were unforgettable.

Where are the pics on the ICPS forum??

Link?

Where are the pics on the ICPS forum??

Link?
If you're referring to my comment on the pics - they are within the various threads. I suspect that the easiest approach may be to just do a search on his screen name and pic out the threads that interest you...

Yea thats exactly who i thought it was. thats really funny that i run into you here on the forums. Yes my amorphophallus made a big scene at the show and yes it stunk that place up. Showed up in the inquirer. I entered some other nepenthes that did really well my seed grown nepenthes ventricosa took 2- 1st place ribbons and a second and my other took 1 first and two 3rds. I had a drosera auriculata in there which even though it was flowering the judges didnt seem to have an eye for it. There probably like what is this weedy looking vine. Who knows lol. Welcome to the forums. So you have a interest in purpurea's i see. Are you still going to be growing nepenthes?

Wow i just saw your pics on the icps forum and they re absolutely breathtaking!

Hey Bluesboy. Have you seen the NASC? Sounds right up your alley it terms of conservation of Sarracenia. Welcome.

xvart.

Back