Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New

Hey guys,

I am new to forum. Thanks for having me.

I just recieved a few Venus Fly Trap seeds and I want to know what I should do to start them growing.

Do I need to crack the seeds first?

What would be a good set up?

I am pretty new to botany so I am a big newbie.

Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you do DO NOT CRACK THE SEEDS! I got my to sprout by putting them in my terrarium and put them ontop of some 1:1 peat moss perlite.

Also WELCOME! :-)

-Ryan
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF (Terra Forums)! I'm not so sure myself because I'm still a newb, too. But I think you should first, get an equal mix of peat and perlite and wet it down in a pot with holes or a tall pot (Fly traps don't like to be in an undrained pot unless it's tall). DO NOT use any kind of water that is NOT distilled, rain, or reverse osmosis water (LOL, I sounded like FCAT). Next, you just lightly sprinkle the seeds on the surface. DO NOT BURY. Then, you put it in a plastic bag in bright, but not hot, light. Make sure the bag as air in it and keep a little bit open for air circulation. I recommend using fluorescent light, but make sure it's enough light and a little close, but not extremely close. Now, you just sit back, relax, check on the seeds, give some water maybe, and enjoy them for years to come. But you must have patience, it takes about 6-8 weeks or something. If they end up not growing, it's ok. Depending on where you got them, they actually might not grow, but give it a try. I messed up on seeds before (and I think now XD). A little tip is that when winter comes, they MUST have dormancy or they will die. You can till it's dormant when it looks dead in the winter. In a few months, they grow back. The reason I mention for the pot to have holes is that they like the water tray system. All you do is put a tray under the pot that holds water for the soil to stay wet. Please, if anyone reads this, correct me. Good growing!
    Last edited by Capensis; 03-28-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention some things :P
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depending on where you live you could probably start your seed outdoors and grow your VFTs outside year round! where do you live?

just lay the seeds on some peat moss and wait. they dont need any stratification and they will sprout in a few weeks. remember though...it takes like 3-4 years for them to be as big as their store bought counterparts. the new seedlings will grow slowly but staedily. just water them with Rain, RO, distilled or Deionized water. for the first 2 year VFT seedlings DONT have to have a dormancy but will need one for their 3rd year.

keep them in as much sun as possible and your good to go!

and welcome! haha
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like glider got it answered pretty well
    So...
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!
    Max

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice is to take the seeds, and put them in the garbage can. Then click on the links above to Andrew's store and buy a grown VFT. This will get you a nice VFT many years before you'll get them from seeds. :P haha! Just kidding, sort of - you gotta be real patient with seeds.

Casplock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!
    Join the Florida Carnivorous Plant Society today!
    My tiny growlist and Big want list. Check out growlist for trade!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast