What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another New Guy

Hello all.

I picked up one of those Sundews (D. Adalea) in a coffin things at Lowe's last Saturday.

In reading up on it and other CP's, I found my way here. Nice lookin' place, and it looks like I have a lot to learn.

So, here I am, and now I'm looking for other "easy to grow" CP's. Preferably ones the wife would consider "pretty".

shane

(PS. VFT's still creep me out, though the red ones look kinda neat).

Well i think your wife might find Sarracenia attractive they look very nice. I also think the venus flytrap can look very nice. But one that she would most likely like would be the ultricula which has a small flower that looks like an orchid. Oh and Nepenthes can look pretty too!.... ok im ahead of myself pretty mmuch all carniverous plants are pretty. Your adalea is also a great starter plant and you should have no problem with it, slowly acclimate it to the outside conditions and than once it is acclimated to the outside you could put it on a windowsill. I would reccommend a Sarracenia and a Dionea for some good starter plants because you can grow them outside with no problems as long as you keep them well watered.

Well all that i have left to say is WELCOME!

:welcome:

-Ryan

Thanks!

My Adalea seems to be doing pretty good, even though I nearly shocked it when removing the cover and transplanting. I've lost the dew, but otherwise seems healthy thus far.

Welcome Shane!

If you could tell us a little more about your conditions and where you plan to grow your plants, we could help you out a little more.

Do you plan to grow your plants outside, inside by a window, or inside under artificial lighting?

There are several sundew species (Drosera) that can be grown inside as well as butterworts (Pinguicula). The D. adelea is one of them. Some more easy to grow dews include D. capensis, D. alicie, D. spathulata, and D. binata (though it grows outdoors too). Easy to grow pings include most Mexican pings.

Here's some examples:

Drosera aliciae
P1000870.jpg

D. capensis
P1000952.jpg

Pinguicula titan
P1000943.jpg

P. weser
P1000963.jpg

All the above listed I grow inside on a rack with artificial lighting. There are many many more species that can be grown, these are just the most basic that I have and have pictures of :). I'm sure most of these can be grown in front of a window as well, though I don't have experience with window growing. All mine face the wrong way. I'm sure someone else more experienced can chime in :).

For outside plants, VFTs (though you say you don't like them), Sarracenia (pitcher plants), and some Drosera too.

Here are some examples:

Sarracenia x Dana's Delight
SarraceniaDanasDelight.jpg

A young S. purpurea
P1000885.jpg

Drosera filiformis ssp. tracyi
P1000878.jpg

These plants are grown outdoors in full sun. The majority of them are now in my bog garden which is just a pond liner that I filled with a peat/sand mixture.

There is just such a wide variety of CPs. I'm sure you can find something that both you and your wife can enjoy.

I hope this helps.

Crystal

I've got mine in a 6" pot, Moss and "Pearl Rock" mix - watered as needed, nice big tray at the bottom.

The weather's been weird lately, so I've been sticking it outside (but not direct sun) when the temps are in the 70s and higher for say 4hrs or so per day. Pulling it inside when it's cooler out, or lower humidity, and putting it between the Iguana's tank and Boa's tank. (Both of which have full spectrum florescent lights).

I would keep it inside if you can't keep it warm outside all year. keep it inside under fluorescents moving it around to much can be stressful for the plant it will always be trying to
acclimate to its new conditions

Hey, Welcome to the forum!

Greetings! :wave:

Your wife may like Pings.

They're rather dainty and put up cute little flowers all the time, and most are easy growers in the proper media.

Welcome to TF! Coffin thing? The proper phrase is, "Lowes Cube Of Death".

Welcome to TF! I recommend a cape sundew, which, BTW, is Drosera capensis. And if you can, you should get Drosera capensis 'red' like my avatar. These little guys are really hard to kill and They make lots and lots and lots of seeds so they might be a weed, but still give it a try. Make sure you use distilled water and peat moss :p. BTW, just call them 'Death Cubes'.

Welcome. I'm fond of the "coffin thing" coinage, as I've never truly been a fan of "cube of death," lol.

xvart.

Welcome, I got hooked as well on a "cube of death" purchase!

Welcome to TF! I recommend a cape sundew, which, BTW, is Drosera capensis. And if you can, you should get Drosera capensis 'red' like my avatar. These little guys are really hard to kill and They make lots and lots and lots of seeds so they might be a weed, but still give it a try. Make sure you use distilled water and peat moss :p. BTW, just call them 'Death Cubes'.

Aye, from what I've read, those look like they'd suit me quite well. Now I've just gotta find 'em.

And for now, I'm sticking with Coffin. :jester:

welcome! once you get started you can get some heliamphora & neps!!!!

welcome! once you get started you can get some heliamphora & neps!!!!

Unless you have some spare cash, I would hold back on the heliamphora for a bit. But sarracenia is a great option too!

-Maxx

Well, that was kinda short lived....my lone lil' Adalea was dug up and lost...(random critter got it). :(

Now to find more CP's and try again...

Back