Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another New Guy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another New Guy

Hello all.

I picked up one of those Sundews (D. Adalea) in a coffin things at Lowe's last Saturday.

In reading up on it and other CP's, I found my way here. Nice lookin' place, and it looks like I have a lot to learn.

So, here I am, and now I'm looking for other "easy to grow" CP's. Preferably ones the wife would consider "pretty".

shane

(PS. VFT's still creep me out, though the red ones look kinda neat).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i think your wife might find Sarracenia attractive they look very nice. I also think the venus flytrap can look very nice. But one that she would most likely like would be the ultricula which has a small flower that looks like an orchid. Oh and Nepenthes can look pretty too!.... ok im ahead of myself pretty mmuch all carniverous plants are pretty. Your adalea is also a great starter plant and you should have no problem with it, slowly acclimate it to the outside conditions and than once it is acclimated to the outside you could put it on a windowsill. I would reccommend a Sarracenia and a Dionea for some good starter plants because you can grow them outside with no problems as long as you keep them well watered.

Well all that i have left to say is WELCOME!

-Ryan
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

My Adalea seems to be doing pretty good, even though I nearly shocked it when removing the cover and transplanting. I've lost the dew, but otherwise seems healthy thus far.

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Shane!

If you could tell us a little more about your conditions and where you plan to grow your plants, we could help you out a little more.

Do you plan to grow your plants outside, inside by a window, or inside under artificial lighting?

There are several sundew species (Drosera) that can be grown inside as well as butterworts (Pinguicula). The D. adelea is one of them. Some more easy to grow dews include D. capensis, D. alicie, D. spathulata, and D. binata (though it grows outdoors too). Easy to grow pings include most Mexican pings.

Here's some examples:

Drosera aliciae

D. capensis

Pinguicula titan

P. weser

All the above listed I grow inside on a rack with artificial lighting. There are many many more species that can be grown, these are just the most basic that I have and have pictures of . I'm sure most of these can be grown in front of a window as well, though I don't have experience with window growing. All mine face the wrong way. I'm sure someone else more experienced can chime in .

For outside plants, VFTs (though you say you don't like them), Sarracenia (pitcher plants), and some Drosera too.

Here are some examples:

Sarracenia x Dana's Delight

A young S. purpurea

Drosera filiformis ssp. tracyi

These plants are grown outdoors in full sun. The majority of them are now in my bog garden which is just a pond liner that I filled with a peat/sand mixture.

There is just such a wide variety of CPs. I'm sure you can find something that both you and your wife can enjoy.

I hope this helps.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got mine in a 6" pot, Moss and "Pearl Rock" mix - watered as needed, nice big tray at the bottom.

The weather's been weird lately, so I've been sticking it outside (but not direct sun) when the temps are in the 70s and higher for say 4hrs or so per day. Pulling it inside when it's cooler out, or lower humidity, and putting it between the Iguana's tank and Boa's tank. (Both of which have full spectrum florescent lights).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would keep it inside if you can't keep it warm outside all year. keep it inside under fluorescents moving it around to much can be stressful for the plant it will always be trying to
    acclimate to its new conditions
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Welcome to the forum!

"If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I'll bet they'd live a lot differently." –Bill Watterson
    "Humankind is a man standing atop a pyramid while slowly chipping away at its foundation. " -Me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!
    Max

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast