What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New CP enthusiest in mid TN

I have recently become re-interested in carnivorous plants. I grew up around house plants and now have many of my own but to date my only foray with carnivorous plants has been the odd venus flytrap here and there that I brought home planted in good potting soil and promptly killed. I gave up on them several years back. I have recently beconme reinterested and now know that beyond the humidity (I was aware of that requirement) it takes nutrient poor soil, pure water and lots of sunlight to keep them alive. I have been reading online and just began reading my new copy of the Savage Garden.

My current plans are to set up a mini-bog for temperate plants on my balcony. I have excellent light there since it faces south west. It is partially shaded by a tree that grows nearby but I have a good selection of light intensity to choose from. Current plans are to construct the bog in a rubbermaid container a 50/50 mix of organic Canadian peat and playsand (since I can't find perlite here that isn't soaked in Miracle Grow) and long-fibered sphagnum moss on the top. I am aware that I will have to use rain water or distilled water. I have a blue rubbermaid tub I plan to use.I had read that clear tubs were preferred I have noticed that most use containers that are not clear, does it matter?

Any other advice and direction would be appreciated. I don't want to start purchasing plants in earnest until I have the conditions set up.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome tp TF! I use buckets as minibogs, as well as a grow rack, window sills, and a fishtank for tropicals. Below are pictoral examples:

IMG_0050-1.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

AF001101.jpg

Welcome!
Look around the forum for a bit... there's a lot of pics and descriptions of what folks have been doing, and it will give you ideas of what to try. We all have little micro-climates that we create, much by trial and error. Don't let the "error" part discourage you, as that is what's needed to find what works for you.
CP's are fascinating plants, as are the peole who grow them!
Good Growin'

Welcome to TF!

Did you say, mid TN?
I'm spending the summer in MT. Juliet (right outside Nashville) at my Dads. I may end up moving here.

Good luck with your bogs. Let us know how it goes.

Welcome to TF, what part of Middle TN are you from? Im in Seymour, just outside of Knoxville.

Welcome! If you don't mind me asking, what part of TN? I was born in Knoxville and my dad still lives there. Beautiful countryside.

I don't want to start purchasing plants in earnest until I have the conditions set up.

That's a good way to be. Too many people buy up all sorts of plants only asking if they are able to provide optimal growing conditions afterwards. Stick around, and hopefully we'll be looking at great pictures of your balcony bog soon enough!

xvart.

I was born in Knoxville and my dad still lives there. Beautiful countryside.
I'm like 10-15 minutes from Knoxville. lol

I agree xvart, that is a good way to be. It's better to know what you're doing first.

Back