What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi from Davis, CA

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. Have wanted to get into cps for awhile now, and have found I now have the time and a place to do it. Currently going to school at UC Davis, and have no clue where to start, but figured this would be as good a place as any! Need to figure out the best plants to grow here, and make sure I don't kill them.

Hmmm, there appears to be another wolf. Welcome

If you want to get into CPs, you should pick a really easy one. Here are some suggestions:

Drosera Capensis (Cape Sundew)
390Drosera_capensis6.jpg

Nepenthes Ventricosa (Tropical Pitcher Plant):
Nepenthes%20ventricosa%205.jpg

these plants are really easy. All you have to do is keep them warm, wet, and in a sunny area.

Thanks for the response! Sorry if my name is similar to another's, I use this on all of the forums I visit, but will change it. Should I wait until winter is over, or use artificial light to keep them warm?

Thanks for the response! Sorry if my name is similar to another's, I use this on all of the forums I visit, but will change it. Should I wait until winter is over, or use artificial light to keep them warm?

No, you can keep your username. I was just pointing out that your username had the word "Wolf" in it and my user-title is "The Wolf". I just think it's a silly coincidence, that's all.

Give us some details about your potential grow area. What state do you live in? If you're going to do windowsill growing, how much sunlight does that window get?

:welcome: to TerraForums!

Growing tropical carnivorous plants in tanks under lights can be pretty easy. Going into Nepenthes may be a little more difficult given their size. You can grow Venus flytraps in tanks under lights too- or if your weather is right grow them outside for summer and they go dormant for winter- outside if appropriate or perhaps the fridge method if not. Read around I'm sure you'll find enough information to help you decide which is best for you!
Andrew

Ah, didn't notice your username.

Well I'm in an apartment, with a large balcony. I live in Davis, California, which is in zone 9 by all the charts I have checked. I'm not sure what kind of growing I'm looking to do. I want 2 or 3 plants that I'm not going to kill while I give this a try. (I know I will probably want more later)

I think in the summer I could do windowsill growing as there is plenty of sun here, but don't think there is enough moisture.

I am basically open to anything which will work. Spending money on getting supplies or the right set up isn't much of a problem as I can cut funds from some of my other hobbies.

Ah, didn't notice your username.

Well I'm in an apartment, with a large balcony. I live in Davis, California, which is in zone 9 by all the charts I have checked. I'm not sure what kind of growing I'm looking to do. I want 2 or 3 plants that I'm not going to kill while I give this a try. (I know I will probably want more later)

I think in the summer I could do windowsill growing as there is plenty of sun here, but don't think there is enough moisture.

I am basically open to anything which will work. Spending money on getting supplies or the right set up isn't much of a problem as I can cut funds from some of my other hobbies.

I live near you. You can grow most plants outside on your balcony, but growing a Nepenthes is different. Grow it on a Windowsill, and mist and water it every couple of days, misting because it needs humidity and CA, is a dry state. It does not like to sit in water but it likes to be moist, so it'll dry out, and you can water it.

Other Plants: Keep them standing in a tray of water, and water from the top. Leave them outside, for they will get intense sun.
capensis2side.jpg

IMG_4063_9_1.jpg

**-- There are some Capensis in 99 cent stores around Southern CA. They're not in such bad condition, mine started to dew for me 2 days after i bought them!--**

Don't read my siggy :X Use THIS advice because I live near you. :] IM NOT CRAZY.

-Capensis says::crazy::crazy:

Hi, welcome to TF! Good starters are Sarracenias, Drosera capensis, and Nepenthes ventricosa and sanguinea, which are all in Flytrapshop. Andy ships really good plants!

-Capensis says::crazy::crazy:

Um, ok. :crazy: :crazy:

I appreciate all the help guys! Glad I can grow them on my balcony. This should survive the winter as well right? I think I will start with a sundew, as everywhere I have looked says they are good starter plants.

Sundews are good. If you go with Drosera capensis, make sure to protect it from frost. It should be OK most days where you are, but I'd say you should bring it in when expecting a cold snap - just to be safe. If you're interested in Nepenthes, you should check this site out; it's right up your alley:
http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/
Halt, you should take a look at this one, too. This guy is pretty amazing - he grows Neps outside unsheltered in the Los Angeles area. I've learned a ton from his site. Basically, you can grow N. ventricosa outside in your weather, but it's best to let it get to adult size, as the mature ones are much sturdier than babies.
~Joe

Theres no cold Snaps in CA. It never gets under 35F.
Heres a Capensis growing outside..with..a..broken.. FLOWER STALK WAHH

IMG_4177_1_1.jpg

IMG_4182_3_1.jpg

IMG_4184_4_1.jpg

Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' with a hole, stupid ants.

i cant get to the site. it shows up as my internet thing.

Welcome to TF!

The UC Davis Botanical Conservatory successfully grows Flytraps, Sarracenia, Roridula, Drosophyllum, tuberous Drosera, and temperate Pinguicula outdoors; I think you would also have great success growing those outdoors. Drosera capensis should grow like a weed outdoors in Davis.

As for Nepenthes, Tropical Drosera, Mexican Pinguicula, and etc. you should be able to cultivate them on a windowsill fairly easily.

Halt: there are cold snaps in California, he lives in NorCal BTW... not very close to Walnut. :D

ohh oops w.e close enough
i guess im too young to go through any with global warming and all.

Thanks for all the info! I live in davis for 8 months for school, and then 4 months in the bay area about 20 mins away from walnut creek. I'll buy the plants tomorrow, that way they get here in a good time for me, and my breaks.

Welcome. Yes a capensis is a great start, and Andy's store has them and are amazing. Check em out! You will be very pleased.

You may consider joining the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society. Membership is free and you will have a chance to meet and ask questions from seasoned CP growers.

http://www.bacps.org

Thanks for that link Brokken. I'll order all my plants after Christmas break, so they don't have to sit with no care for a couple days.

Since you go to ucd i suggest you keep an eye on this page http://greenhouse.ucdavis.edu/conservatory/plantfaire/index.html CPs sold there are pretty reasonable.

Have you been to the conservatory? We are north of Storer Hall and Hutchinson, I'm usually bumming around there monday afternoons, tho probably not next week since i need to study for finals.

Haven't been but will do. I've been busy with end of the quarter projects, and finals.

Back