Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Davis, CA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi from Davis, CA

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. Have wanted to get into cps for awhile now, and have found I now have the time and a place to do it. Currently going to school at UC Davis, and have no clue where to start, but figured this would be as good a place as any! Need to figure out the best plants to grow here, and make sure I don't kill them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, there appears to be another wolf. Welcome

If you want to get into CPs, you should pick a really easy one. Here are some suggestions:

Drosera Capensis (Cape Sundew)

Nepenthes Ventricosa (Tropical Pitcher Plant):

these plants are really easy. All you have to do is keep them warm, wet, and in a sunny area.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response! Sorry if my name is similar to another's, I use this on all of the forums I visit, but will change it. Should I wait until winter is over, or use artificial light to keep them warm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
    Thanks for the response! Sorry if my name is similar to another's, I use this on all of the forums I visit, but will change it. Should I wait until winter is over, or use artificial light to keep them warm?

No, you can keep your username. I was just pointing out that your username had the word "Wolf" in it and my user-title is "The Wolf". I just think it's a silly coincidence, that's all.

Give us some details about your potential grow area. What state do you live in? If you're going to do windowsill growing, how much sunlight does that window get?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    to TerraForums!

Growing tropical carnivorous plants in tanks under lights can be pretty easy. Going into Nepenthes may be a little more difficult given their size. You can grow Venus flytraps in tanks under lights too- or if your weather is right grow them outside for summer and they go dormant for winter- outside if appropriate or perhaps the fridge method if not. Read around I'm sure you'll find enough information to help you decide which is best for you!
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, didn't notice your username.

Well I'm in an apartment, with a large balcony. I live in Davis, California, which is in zone 9 by all the charts I have checked. I'm not sure what kind of growing I'm looking to do. I want 2 or 3 plants that I'm not going to kill while I give this a try. (I know I will probably want more later)

I think in the summer I could do windowsill growing as there is plenty of sun here, but don't think there is enough moisture.

I am basically open to anything which will work. Spending money on getting supplies or the right set up isn't much of a problem as I can cut funds from some of my other hobbies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
    Ah, didn't notice your username.

Well I'm in an apartment, with a large balcony. I live in Davis, California, which is in zone 9 by all the charts I have checked. I'm not sure what kind of growing I'm looking to do. I want 2 or 3 plants that I'm not going to kill while I give this a try. (I know I will probably want more later)

I think in the summer I could do windowsill growing as there is plenty of sun here, but don't think there is enough moisture.

I am basically open to anything which will work. Spending money on getting supplies or the right set up isn't much of a problem as I can cut funds from some of my other hobbies.
    I live near you. You can grow most plants outside on your balcony, but growing a Nepenthes is different. Grow it on a Windowsill, and mist and water it every couple of days, misting because it needs humidity and CA, is a dry state. It does not like to sit in water but it likes to be moist, so it'll dry out, and you can water it.

Other Plants: Keep them standing in a tray of water, and water from the top. Leave them outside, for they will get intense sun.

**-- There are some Capensis in 99 cent stores around Southern CA. They're not in such bad condition, mine started to dew for me 2 days after i bought them!--**

Don't read my siggy :X Use THIS advice because I live near you. :] IM NOT CRAZY.

-Capensis says:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast