Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Salt Lake City, UT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Greetings from Salt Lake City, UT

I am a newbie to the CP world and got started this year on my 30th birthday in September. I got a drosera capensis and some kind of VFT and then decided that I didn't want to care for them (my business keeps me VERY busy). Luckily my wife watered them for a week or two and I finally decided that I'd try repotting the plants and give it a go. They've been growing well ever since.

I'm interested in learning more about the variety of CP's out there and how to grow them successfully. I've never been one for gardening, but I have found the same allure many have mentioned for CP's and hope to expand my collection and skills.

I have been working on figuring out how to grow them in this dry Utah climate. The summer will be particularly interesting. If any of you live in states like Utah, Arizona, Texas and New Mexico, I'd be interested in learning how you successfully grow your plants.

I'm excited to be here!

Xantius

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! We have a few here from the Desert Southwest, including the owner of this discussion forum, as well as one who is incredibly knowlegeable of butterworts and one that cultivates and sells VFT's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! Welcome to TF! I'm sure you can grow VFTs and Sarracenias (pitcher plants) outside well! If you're wondering on how to grow them outside, you can talk to the owner of TF, Andy. He grows his plants in Arizona and owns Flytrapshop. It's a great place to get plants!
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xantius View Post
    I am a newbie to the CP world and got started this year on my 30th birthday in September. I got a drosera capensis and some kind of VFT and then decided that I didn't want to care for them (my business keeps me VERY busy). Luckily my wife watered them for a week or two and I finally decided that I'd try repotting the plants and give it a go. They've been growing well ever since.

I'm interested in learning more about the variety of CP's out there and how to grow them successfully. I've never been one for gardening, but I have found the same allure many have mentioned for CP's and hope to expand my collection and skills.

I have been working on figuring out how to grow them in this dry Utah climate. The summer will be particularly interesting. If any of you live in states like Utah, Arizona, Texas and New Mexico, I'd be interested in learning how you successfully grow your plants.

I'm excited to be here!

Xantius
    I also started in september during my birthday! Yea, as others said, ask Andy. :]
    Great Growing to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TerraForums, Xantius!

I'd be glad to give any advice I can about arid CP growing, even though I'm still in the learning curve.

I find Nepenthes to be the most interesting, though, and those are not very hard to grow (in my residential state of New Mexico) on a windowsill once you get the basics down.

Glad to have you here!

Jimmy
    "I'm just a scientist without the proper documentation."

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113724

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome Xantius! I live in Palm Springs, which is very dry and hot. I grow my CP's in an indoor mini greenhouse. I have several Drosera, a Ping, a couple of Dionaea, and a Cephalotus in there. I also have a Nepenthes ventricosa that has acclimated to the dry warm air that I keep in my classroom. (I am a teacher)

This mini greenhouse was originally intended for orchid seedlings, but when I had an outbreak of fungus gnats I got some pings and Drosera to control them. The gnats are under control and I now grow carnivorous plants.
    Feed me Seymour.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!
    Well I guess that I can't say that I come from a dry, hot place. Long Island is humid, hot and cold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF. Like everyone else has said, there s a wealth of knowledge on this forum, and I'm sure you will find others that have overcome the very same problem that you are experiencing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast