What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seattle area noob...

Greetings from the area west of Seattle across Puget Sound. I'm fairly new to CP's but was gifted a good sized pot w/ some pitchers three years back which have remained healthy w/ little influence on my part. Looking to expand and learn.... Recently acquired a 55gal tank and will likely be asking questions on setting it up properly.

If there are any formal/informal CP's gatherings in this region please let me know.

Cheers...-Scott-

Welcome Scott,

You'll have to be more specific which kind of pitchers you got. If they are North American pitcher plants (Sarracenia) then ditch the tank the idea. These plants require full sun and do very well outdoors.

I suggest you keep the tank as a terrarium to increase humidity, place plants in pots in the tank, it'll allow for some plants (Nepenthes) that require higher RH. Not all but some do.

Yann

Sorry, that was a lack of clarity on my part. The pitcher plants (Sarracenia) are the ones I have outdoors. I'm looking to build an indoor set-up as well but have yet to acquire the plants (Nepenthes).

Ok, thanks for the clarification, for your terra you will be able to accommodate several species but not all. Some are also harder to grow so the choice will be up to you if you're feeling lucky and wanting to spend some $$$. For the terra, most Nepenthes will do well though not all will require high RH. Depending on your day and night temperatures you'll be able to grow highlander/intermediates or lowlanders.
You'll be able to find some cheap Neps to begin with online, Andy, www.flytrapshop.com has a few Neps for sale that are worth checking out. You'll be able to possibly grow Heliamphora as well (South American pitcher plants). Just do some snooping around the old threads and you'll find plenty of info on all that you wonder.

As for the Sarrs, if you've been growing them for 3 yrs already then I need not add any input unless you have questions.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to TF!

Back