What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, I guess it is time to introduce myself since I’ve been lurking for some time now. My name is Hotrod30; after my hotrod that I drive. To tell you how old I am; tenth grade math class we spent a week on learning how to use and master the Slide Rule.
I grow my carnivorous plants outside in the late spring, summer and fall; in the cool terrariums in the winter time. I live in zone 4b.
I have two, 48in X 24in X 18in terrariums in my workshop. Each terrarium is made of aluminum angle (1 1/2in), aluminum square (1in), plexiglass acrylic mirror sheets both 1/8 (sides) and ¼ inch thick (for the door) and a lot of pop-rivets. The bottom is 1/2in white plexiglass and the top is 3/8in clear acrylic. These are not viewing terrariums. The cooling is done by 4in insulated flexduct, inline 4in fan and a cooling thermostat. The six foot long insulated flexduct goes from the unheated garage to the terrariums. Right now the thermostat is set at 45 deg F. Lighting on each terrarium is done by a Tek T5 48in 4 HO bulb fixture (using only the outer 2 lights right now), two 5 cluster LED grow bars and a T8 48in 2 HO bulb fixture. Humidity, if needed, is provided by two Zoo Med Repti Foggers. Two CO2Boost systems are used in the early spring growing time. Lights, light cooling fans, terrarium cooling, foggers, and CO2Boost systems are all controlled by an X10 system. The X10 turns on the lights to resemble sunrise to midday to sunset.
The two outside circulating bogs (used in late spring, summer and fall) are made of heavy plastic storage trays; 44in X 24in X 7in high. Each tray has its’ own water pump, air bubbler and water level control system. The plants have their own pots that nest in net pots buried in expanded clay pellets. The water circulates from the control box to the other end of the tray, thru the tray and then back into the control box (which contains the water pump, air bubbler, water level control valves, algae control stuff and if needed ice blocks). The third bog is just a 6in PVC pipe with 5 ½ holes drilled in it to hold the pots that have the Venus Fly Traps. The 6in pipe is capped at each end and has a water control valve and drain valve in it. I don’t circulate this water but regulate the depth by hand. To supply water I have a RO System and a 35 gal holding tank. I can water the plants via a drip system or just put water in the trays. I let Mother Nature flush the system and add water or use the RO water to do the same. The bogs get direct sun light from about 9:30AM to dark. Since I live in the country, I have around the bogs an 18in tall electric fence that is always on (the wife accidently tested it once). So far, (knock on wood), the fence has kept every thing out (even the wife).
For plants I have Pitcher Plant Hybrids, Pitcher Plant Species, Cobra plants, Sundews and Venus Fly Traps. All my plants are common plants; I don’t want special, hard to find plants. Most came from the internet, but some came from Lowes death cubes. I don’t care for Latin names; have to look them up when I read here and on the internet.
My winter project is to start some Dewy Pines. I have the planting mix, the seeds and the pots; but not the time. My wife and I are still grieving over the death of our youngest daughter from cancer. She was a Captain in the USAF; stationed in Montana but died in the Air Force Hospital in Texas. A lot of paper work, phone calls and more paper work. Luckily the X10 system worked great and the plants didn’t need much watering.
That’s about it for me. I’m around here about twice a day. I don’t answer many questions because I am still learning about CPs but will try if I can. I’m also trying to learn how to use this computer; thank God for spell check.

:welcome: to tf man :D

sorry to hear bout your daughter, guessing she was at Malmstrom?

welcome to the forum, prolly gonna have to get used to the latin names.....hell i cant pronounce half of them but i recognize them when i see them which is all yah need......sounds like yah got a heck of a setup, other than a few in a window at the office all mine are in the basement under lights though in a half arsed backwoods hillbilly setup, nothing fancy but manage to grow some of the rare hard to find stuff....with your setup you prolly could do fairly well.....climate is to harsh here in northeast Montana to grow much of anything outside.....

Welcome to the forums. Where are you abouts in NY?

Welcome to TF! I'm in Western NY.

Welcome, so sorry to hear about your daughter.
hope you stick with the forum,all of your systems sound very nice, there are people growing very tough plants here with much less, you can do it man give one a try . some of the highland neps. would love that cool terrarium you have there.
I'd like to try a bog ,so im sure you have some knowledge i could use , so hope i can ,bend your ear with a few questions , in the spring.
Keep well

Welcome fellow New Yorker! I'm south of you but its always good to share tips. I would love to see some pics of your set ups, it sounds really inventive, did you build them yourself?

Cool! I'm visiting NY for Spring Break! Have any suggestions what to do in NYC?

jefforever- absolutely, what do you like to do or what are you interested in? touristy stuff, clubbing, food, shopping?

Primarily food... then touristy stuff, hahaha.

Thanks.

I'll pm you, otherwise this thread will be derailed completely.

Cool! I'm visiting NY for Spring Break! Have any suggestions what to do in NYC?

Jeff,
I see you live in College Station..
that must mean you know everything about Dallas right?
how are things in Dallas these days?
Is Dallas a fun place to visit?
Must be cool to live in Dallas.. ;)

Scot

LOL! He took a shot. You must know that people from everywhere else in the world think people from NY live in or near NYC! I get that everywhere I travel (and getting asked to say words like "dog" over and over.) Its not clear just how different the regions in this state are to outsiders. I grew up just outside the city and spent just about every weekend in the bronx or manhattan, then went to college there for a few semesters. so just because I live farther away now doesn't mean I don't know a thing Im afraid its people like me that make that stigma worse.

LOL! He took a shot. You must know that people from everywhere else in the world think people from NY live in or near NYC! I get that everywhere I travel (and getting asked to say words like "dog" over and over.) Its not clear just how different the regions in this state are to outsiders. I grew up just outside the city and spent just about every weekend in the bronx or manhattan, then went to college there for a few semesters. so just because I live farther away now doesn't mean I don't know a thing Im afraid its people like me that make that stigma worse.

I know..I was just joking..its an ooooooooooold joke..

even people from New York City (and especially Long Island) really have no concept that Upstate NY even exists..

Its like "oh..you live in California? wow, whats it like living in LA? how is the smog? you must see movie stars every day!" ???

oh well..
personally I love New York City..its a great town..
but I still wouldnt mind if everything north and west of the Bronx split off and became the 51st state! ;) We would be much better off..

Scot

but I still wouldnt mind if everything north and west of the Bronx split off and became the 51st state! We would be much better off..

You sound just like my wife and I think anybody else in WNY...and Central NY... and anything north and west of Westchester County!

Back