Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from another Californian!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capensis, I'll have to look into it sometime if I get a chance. I'm waaay behind on anime I'm supposed to watch. I still need to finish Ouran and watch Kuroshitsuji and I don't even remember what else :P i just don't have as much time for stuff as I did before I started college

Jimscott, the regular splendens are just as pretty HMPKs are halfmoon plakats...so just essnetially plakats with a 180 degree tail spread. They're the "in" type right now...I just want to raise them becuase they're something I don't have yet, and because they're popular I'd have an easier time finding homes for any I couldn't keep. I've got mostly VTs and combtails (VTxCT), one halfmoon, one double tail, a few deltas, and one girl who I think may be a plakat. All in all I have about 40 of them.

My bettas are the only bubblenest builders I have. Aside from them, I have a tank of platies and a small tank of Opae ula (halocaridina rubra) shrimp, but that's it.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried breeding them? Aside from conditioning the females I can show you a way of setting up the tank for breeding.

Any particular strain of Platies? While most people seem to go graduate to the big cichlids, I've always enjoyed cultivating livebearers and bubblenest builders. And then there was saltwater...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about getting capensis... ask around the forum for a day or two and you'll probably get some 20+ offers! In the event, you might also find some more interesting ones... (I know someone who has spare dichotoma, I've seen an offer for capillaris and aliciae, etc.)

Speaking of which, I'm a n00b too.

BTW: Welcome to TF!
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimscott- Yes, I've bred my bettas. Only once so far though. It's really fun watching them grow and watching their colors develop. I'm really anxious to try again. My platies are silver mickey mouse platies. I got a trio at the pet store and one male and one female died, but the remaining female gave me lots of little clone babies, lol.

w03- Thanks! Actually upwhiz already very generously offered me a sundew free of charge, so I will have a sundew coming to me soon! Now I can be a real member, haha. I don't want to ask for plants because I don't have anything to offer yet...but hopefully eventually I'll be able to contribute

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're also welcome to my so-called "newbie package".

I've only had the Bettas spawn once.... and after about 3 weeks they began dying. I had them in a 5.5 gallon tank, shared with water sprite plants. I thought they all died but several months later I caught a glimpse of movement. I had a survivor! I think they start dying off when their ;abyrinth system kicks in and doesn't develop properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed that thread while I was browsing-- I just may take you up on that, thanks!

Hm, what were you feeding the bettas? It pretty tricky to keep them alive, it takes a lot of maintenance. I was siphoning debris off the bottom of their tank once or twice daily and was cultivating microworms on top of the fridge and hatching baby brine shrimp daily for them. It was a lot of work, but it was very rewarding and I got 27 baby bettas out of it. All identical-- female red cambodian combtails. (Mom was a red cambodian crowntail and dad was an orange veiltail). Currently I have about 10 of them-- I gave some to a friend, and some of mine died from weird tumors a few of them developed that I think must be genetic. What happened to your lone survivor? Did it grow up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahha. another betta breeder! i did a cross of a combtail to a rosetail last year. unfortunately, the rosetail trait was lost and the veiltail showed up on the kids. beautiful fish though, got the regular typical red/blue, but then also got a cornflower/purple/black individual (not cambodian!), steel blue and black lace kids. the male tails looked pretty plain, but the female tails had a delta thing going on (and the males are supposed to look nice :P).

i also have a spare dichotoma or two if you want. they are seedlings but they can take off in a short period of time.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    I just noticed that thread while I was browsing-- I just may take you up on that, thanks!

Hm, what were you feeding the bettas? It pretty tricky to keep them alive, it takes a lot of maintenance. I was siphoning debris off the bottom of their tank once or twice daily and was cultivating microworms on top of the fridge and hatching baby brine shrimp daily for them. It was a lot of work, but it was very rewarding and I got 27 baby bettas out of it. All identical-- female red cambodian combtails. (Mom was a red cambodian crowntail and dad was an orange veiltail). Currently I have about 10 of them-- I gave some to a friend, and some of mine died from weird tumors a few of them developed that I think must be genetic. What happened to your lone survivor? Did it grow up?
    They got their start in the water sprite tank, where the male blew in his bubblenest. I also put dried straw in the tank to produce infusoria. So they went from yolk sac to infusoria and then it came time for baby brine shrimp.

I also hatched brine shrimp. There used to be a product / kit that was circular and maze-like. You sprinkle the seeds in the brackish water and put the cover on top. In the center is a hole and an accommodating light. The idea is that the shrimp hatch and follow the light to the center. Then you use a brine shrimp net (fine mesh) to scoop up the nauplii and rinse it out before feeding the fry.

The survivor did grow up to maturity. It was a make but it had far less finnage than his father. I had odd things happen to my anabantids, different tanks at different times. Most notable was the tank of Pearl Leeri fry that were fried by a heater that somehow cracked and raised the tenp to well over 100 F.

The easiest to spawn are the dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalia).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast