Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello from another Californian!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ARGH. I had responses typed out yo both of you, and then my cat stepped on the keyboard and erased everything. Gargh. Let's try this again.

Amphiron- I'm not surprised the rosetail trait was lost on your fry. It is a bummer though, rosetails are so pretty! Do you have pictures of them? The girls sound pretty! You're lucky you had different colors in your fry-- mine were 100% red cambodian combtail females...Coulda been worse though, since the females are easier to keep and I like cambodians anyway. I'll PM you about the dichotoma in a bit, thanks for the offer!

Jimscott- Did you get my PM? I had a question about my priority stamp.
    Sounds like you had a pretty fancy BBS hatchery! I just used the ghetto 2-liter soda bottle method. Effective, but not very stylish :P I wanted to get a fancier hatchery for next time I spawn. I'm glad you at least had that one male make it! I think it would be really interesting to watch a male betta mature. Since all mine were females, I didn't get to see the difference in the growth rates of their fins or observe and differences in behavior between the young males and the young females. That's a huge bummer about about your bad luck with anabantids though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i do think i have some pictures lying around somewhere. i gave all my girls away since i no longer had a place to keep them. i did the ghetto brine shrimp hatchery thing as well--too much maintenance if you ask me! plus there's no guarantee that you'd have enough food or if you got a bad batch of eggs. plus, i heard there was a correlation between feeding bbs and spine/airbladder deformities. next time i'm going to have to try vinegar eels or microworms- they last much longer in freshwater than bbs. the majority of my fatalities came from inadequate feeding.

then there was that one case where the mom decided to hop in and cull her babies. sadly i lost over half my remaining brood. on the plus side, all the ones that had spine deformities disappeared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww, sad you had to give the girls away! Though I definitely understand the space thing! I gave about 1/3 of mine to a trusted friend for a sorority. I couldn't give away any more than that, though, because I didn't trust anyone else with them. One of my friends bought two female bettas at Petco and put them in one of those horrible, tiny divided tanks. She asked me if they'd get along if she took out the divider. I told her no. She did it anyway, and then was surprised when they started fighting. Argh! That's why I don't trust a lot of people with them. Plus I wanted them to have better than a 1-gallon fish bowl, which is what other friends and family members would have provided.

I have heard about the brine shrimp and problems. I've also heard that feeding microworms is related to missing ventral fins. But I fed both, and all my fish are free of deformities :P I think the issue with microworms was that since they sink, feeding them encourages the fry to stay at the bottom, where it's less clean, and thus their vents don't grow. As long as you keep the tank clean, that should be no problem though. With the brine shrimp, I thiiiiink the issue was a possible deficiency of vitamin C...but again, I had no problems, and if you're worried, just vary their diet.

What a bad momfish! You had the parents and babies in a divided portion of the same tank? I learned quick that bettas are excellent jumpers, lol. Actually, I was thinking of trying an experiment (nothing new-- I know several betta breeders who have done this before) and leaving the father in longer next time I spawn. That way he would cull any sick/deformed fry, and thus control the population...But then again, caring for the fry longer is stressful for the father, so I don't know. Not planning on spawning again for a few months anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i heard about that too. apparently the fry grow at a faster rate also; since there's a dominant fish in the tank, the fry dont do allopathy and it allows for everyone to grow big. however, i heard they're more drab (until you remove the alpha male anyway XD)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, I hadn't heard about the fry growing at a faster rate or males being more drab, lol. Less territorial yes, but not more drab lol. I have heard of problems, if you leave the fish in long enough for them to mature, of the dominant female spawning with the father lol. But some people do that anyway, so the only problem really is if you don't want more fish :P

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123