1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrorizer congrats on your new VFT. I agree with Capensis, what better way than to grow a VFT with free lighting and beautiful colors. Just grow it outside. You will save yourself so much hassle to know how much light is enough. Just keep it full sun and don't let the media dry out. Don't forget to first acclimate it where it can handle lower humidity and stronger sunlight. Or else you are risking for your plant to go into shock and die. Which since Spring is just around the corner you should not have so much problems with that. Just watch out! You don't want it to be cooking inside the dome. Oh yeah if it flowers I would suggest clipping the flower since it did not received dormancy. Next year if you want let it flower all it wants.

Another thing I don't have experience with other Nepenthes that have been recommended here. However, I do have a Ventricosa and agree with Wolfn. Ventricosa is an extremely easy plant to grow. I highly recommended.

Welcome to TerraForums.
    Growlist

Jesse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jimscoot, thank you for the welcome jim nice to meet you sir.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post
    Terrorizer congrats on your new VFT. I agree with Capensis, what better way than to grow a VFT with free lighting and beautiful colors. Just grow it outside. You will save yourself so much hassle to know how much light is enough. Just keep it full sun and don't let the media dry out. Don't forget to first acclimate it where it can handle lower humidity and stronger sunlight. Or else you are risking for your plant to go into shock and die. Which since Spring is just around the corner you should not have so much problems with that. Just watch out! You don't want it to be cooking inside the dome. Oh yeah if it flowers I would suggest clipping the flower since it did not received dormancy. Next year if you want let it flower all it wants.

Another thing I don't have experience with other Nepenthes that have been recommended here. However, I do have a Ventricosa and agree with Wolfn. Ventricosa is an extremely easy plant to grow. I highly recommended.

Welcome to TerraForums.

Hey Jag nice to meet you, i'm going to go with your guy's advice and keep it right outside of my windowsill theres plenty of sun there. Also the weather should be getting warmer by march. I eventually want to make a small bog garden but i'll take it one step at a time
    My next strain will be a drosera spathulata and a nepenthes alata.
    Last edited by adnedarn; 02-11-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: edited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TZ,
    where do you live?
    (just a city/state is fine)
    your local climate is a HUGE factor in how easy, or not so easy, you can grow VFT's and Sarracenia..
    especially in the winter..
    so let us know where you are, and everyone can give you more specific advice based on where you live..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hes from ventura, ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey scotty i'm from thousand oaks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah..Southern California..
    do you guys even get a winter to speak of?

never mind..I googled it:
    http://www.idcide.com/weather/ca/thousand-oaks.htm

well..those are really warm winters..but they are noticeably cooler than summer!
    which is a very good thing, as far as VFT and Sarr winter dormancy is concerned..

Terrorizer,
    you are one of the lucky ones!
    you get to grow your VFTs and Sarracenia outdoors, every day of the year,
    and you never even have to worry about dormancy at all!
    because nature will provide dormancy for you..you dont have to do any work at all!
    im jealous..

you should just put your VFT outside right now, and leave it there forever..
    it will very happy for decades to come..

dont keep it inside..that is MUCH worse..and it is far more likely to die indoors..
    you have a great outdoor climate! a little bit on the"too warm" side for winter dormancy, but it should still work fine..you should take advantage of it!

Scot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast