What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New guy here

Hello. i'm new to this forum and I would like to start growing some carnivorous plants as a hobby.
I already grow some plants, so i'm not new to growing. Some plants i'm looking at getting soon are some pitcher plants hopefully a queen of hearts x King of spades or alata. anyone now if these are hard to maintain at all?

Nice to meet everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
ello mate :D welcome to tf :welcome: you can say other plants just not other vendors :)

Hello. i'm new to this forum and I would like to start growing some carnivorous plants as a hobby.
I already grow special plants, don't know if i'm allowed to say the type of plant ;)
So i'm not new to growing. Some plants i'm looking at getting soon are some pitcher plants hopefully a queen of hearts x King of spades or alata. anyone now if these are hard to maintain at all?

Nice to meet everyone!

Welcome! And no you're not allowed.

?? your not allowed to mention other plants??

Uh, oh, guys. We got the Terrorizer among us. We better look out.

Hiya! Welcome to TF! :waves:

Drew, cp-connection was kidding, that rapscallion.

If you are new to carnivorous plants, I suggest you start off with an easy one. My suggestion is Nepenthes Ventricosa. They grow practically anywhere. Here's mine:

003-6.jpg

welcome to TF! And yes, I'd agree with Wolfn. Start with some easy plants before getting rare and expensive ones. :-D

Welcome.
queen of hearts x King of spades would be a good nep to start with but small.
Ventrata or sang orange are fast growing neps that might look good quicker.
You can mention any plant you want, just no vendors besides Andy.

First start out with easier plants, so that way if something happens to the black Truncata cross, you won't be losing 50$ ;)

Welcome to Terraforums!

Hey people thank you all for the warm welcome. Anyway I just got back from buying a VFT at lowes i'm gonna keep this one for a few weeks before I purchase anything more expensive, although that Hybrid I metioned earlier is fairly inexpensive, well at least were i was planning on purchasing it from. so I feed my VFT a daddy long legs right now, it was a bit on the slow side shutting it's jaws any one know why?

I've seen others close them very fast.
Also a few question for you great people, Is it ok to keep my VFT under 24 hours of cfl lighting indoors?

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

If you are new to carnivorous plants, I suggest you start off with an easy one. My suggestion is Nepenthes Ventricosa. They grow practically anywhere. Here's mine:

003-6.jpg

Nice looking plant wolfn, how many watts is that?
is it a cfl or incondecant?
and how many hours do you have it on for? thanks.

VFTs should be kept outside (or at least until it gets warm) in full sun, in 50/50 pear and perlite (or sand) with no fertilizer, and should be kept wet/moist in a tray of distilled/rain/RO water.

The reason why the trap closed slowly is because Lowes treat their CPs very poorly.

Wow, all you guys are clueless. lmao

Welcome aboard, T.

Slow jaws usually mean lack of light or cool temperatures. I'm sure there's other reasons but those seem to be the most discussed.

No, your vft will get pissed under 24 hours of light. All plants need a day and night cycle for exact reasons I'm too lazy to explain.
Go for 16 hours of artificial light and make sure you put it outside to grow in full sun when it warms up in your area.

Wow, all you guys are clueless. lmao

Welcome aboard, T.

Slow jaws usually mean lack of light or cool temperatures. I'm sure there's other reasons but those seem to be the most discussed.

No, your vft will get pissed under 24 hours of light. All plants need a day and night cycle for exact reasons I'm too lazy to explain.
Go for 16 hours of artificial light and make sure you put it outside to grow in full sun when it warms up in your area.

Hey yellowdart, I did read somewhere that it was due to cooler temps.
so 16/8 will be and ideal photo period for this plant?

I have it in a grow cab inside my home as of now but my lights are on 24/0 so I guess I will need to make it a new home.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

VFTs should be kept outside (or at least until it gets warm) in full sun, in 50/50 pear and perlite (or sand) with no fertilizer, and should be kept wet/moist in a tray of distilled/rain/RO water.

The reason why the trap closed slowly is because Lowes treat their CPs very poorly.

Hey capensis, I have it in a tray with some RO water so it will stay moist, also I guess lowes had a new shipment today because they were fully stocked on their VFT's.

Nice looking plant wolfn, how many watts is that?
is it a cfl or incondecant?
and how many hours do you have it on for? thanks.

It's a 12 watt florescent bulb and I have it on about 5-6 hours a day.

Geff let me have one of your cuttings lol

Welcome to TF!

Terrorizer congrats on your new VFT. I agree with Capensis, what better way than to grow a VFT with free lighting and beautiful colors. Just grow it outside. You will save yourself so much hassle to know how much light is enough. Just keep it full sun and don't let the media dry out. Don't forget to first acclimate it where it can handle lower humidity and stronger sunlight. Or else you are risking for your plant to go into shock and die. Which since Spring is just around the corner you should not have so much problems with that. Just watch out! You don't want it to be cooking inside the dome. Oh yeah if it flowers I would suggest clipping the flower since it did not received dormancy. Next year if you want let it flower all it wants.

Another thing I don't have experience with other Nepenthes that have been recommended here. However, I do have a Ventricosa and agree with Wolfn. Ventricosa is an extremely easy plant to grow. I highly recommended.

Welcome to TerraForums.

@jimscoot, thank you for the welcome jim nice to meet you sir.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Terrorizer congrats on your new VFT. I agree with Capensis, what better way than to grow a VFT with free lighting and beautiful colors. Just grow it outside. You will save yourself so much hassle to know how much light is enough. Just keep it full sun and don't let the media dry out. Don't forget to first acclimate it where it can handle lower humidity and stronger sunlight. Or else you are risking for your plant to go into shock and die. Which since Spring is just around the corner you should not have so much problems with that. Just watch out! You don't want it to be cooking inside the dome. Oh yeah if it flowers I would suggest clipping the flower since it did not received dormancy. Next year if you want let it flower all it wants.

Another thing I don't have experience with other Nepenthes that have been recommended here. However, I do have a Ventricosa and agree with Wolfn. Ventricosa is an extremely easy plant to grow. I highly recommended.

Welcome to TerraForums.

Hey Jag nice to meet you, i'm going to go with your guy's advice and keep it right outside of my windowsill theres plenty of sun there. Also the weather should be getting warmer by march. I eventually want to make a small bog garden but i'll take it one step at a time ;)
My next strain will be a drosera spathulata and a nepenthes alata.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back