What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michigan Noob

Hey guys,
Just starting in the hobby. I've tried to grow Nepenthes, Sarracenia, and flytraps in the past.. with no success. So I decided to do some research for a couple years before trying again. Well, it's time to give it another shot. I've just ordered a N.ventricosa, and a Cephalotus. I may be getting in over my head, but IMO opinion the best way to learn how to swim is to dive in head first.

Buy the book Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato, which is the best general beginner's book. And ask lots of questions.

:welcome: to tf :D

Hey guys,
Just starting in the hobby. I've tried to grow Nepenthes, Sarracenia, and flytraps in the past.. with no success. So I decided to do some research for a couple years before trying again.
A good place to start is Barry's faq. Lots of great info - if you haven't purchased any books yet (& good info even if you have books!).

Welcome aboard - hopefully the community can help your plants thrive this time around.

I just ordered the eBook "Secrets To Growing Carnivorous Plants " by Jeff Dallas & Jacob Farin. Along with an N.ventricosa to start out. They should arrive sometime this coming week..

Welcome to the forum, P Breeder...

Welcome to TF! Does your forum name refer to the genus of livebearing tropical fish?

Welcome to TF! Does your forum name refer to the genus of livebearing tropical fish?

no, it referred to the tarantula family Poecilotheria. They are a large family from India that I specialize in. As you may have noticed however, I have since changed my name to my "usual" user name. This was the first time I've ever used "Poec.Breeder", and it just didn't sit right.

Feel free to take a look at some of my hobby pics on my site www.massmorels.com. Nothing fancy, just a photography based website I've put together over the years. Enjoy!!

BTW, Jacob Farin is a very well respected hobbyist / supplier... and a nice guy!

BTW, Jacob Farin is a very well respected hobbyist / supplier... and a nice guy!

I've spoke with a few people so far.. Jacob Farin, Michael Szesze, and Jeremiah Harris are the only names I can remember right off hand. And I must say,.. everyone has been very nice and quite helpful to a noob like myself. I think I'm really going to enjoy this hobby!

Hello and happy growing! :boogie:

A very late and happy :welcome: to a fellow Michigander‼

Back