What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from NY

• Thread starter Exo
  • Start date

Exo

Tastes like chicken!
Hey guys, I've been growing CPs for 5 years and figured it was about time to join a forum. I'm glad that I finally did, this place is great! :boogie:

Wait SHHHHHHHH, I can hear your plants too! :lol:

Welcome!

im afraid if yous tick your ear too close youll be bitten HA

howdy feller American

Another New Yorker, awesome! I see you live kinda close to a couple member on here including myself. Welcome to TF

Greeting Exo,
welcome!

I know Albion well..
im over on the West side of Rochester..
we have jimscott near Buffalo,
Jayson just said Hi from Canandaigua,
and we have a few more nearby as well..

quite a Western NY gathering we have going here! :)

Scot

Welcome to TF! There's a woman named Heather nearby as well and she's talked about starting up a group. If you've familiar with East Aurora, that's where I'm residing.

Not to jack the thread but Jim thats sounds like a good idea.

Hello! Hooray another New Yorker! Thats awesome you all are so close together, I'm right in the middle of nowhere, I'm jealous!

Wow, I had no idea that there were so many fellow CPers nearby! :-O

Hello! Hooray another New Yorker! Thats awesome you all are so close together, I'm right in the middle of nowhere, I'm jealous!

Where, in the middle of nowhere?

I'm stuck in Southern Dutchess County for about another two years.

"stuck"?
Southern Dutchess county sounds nice!
(I can think of much worse places to be! ;)

I went to college at New Paltz..just across the river from Poughkeepsie..
I LOVE the Hudson Valley and the Catskills!

Its a beautiful area..far enough from NYC that its not endless boring suburbia,
(like Long Island).. it still has some natural charm left..
but also not totally rural either..IMO the area is an ideal mix of "close to the big city" but also close to Nature (the Catskills)

I actually wanted to try to live around New Paltz after I graduated, but back then (early 90's) there were just no jobs in that area for me..so I came up to Rochester to work at Kodak..

But the mid-Hudson Valley will always be one of my most favorite places..
probably second only the Finger Lakes..

just curious..what dont you like about it?
(I take it you are not a Dutchess County native?)

Scot

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

well ok..now that I look at a map of Dutchess county..its coming back to me! ;)

I admit that Poughkeepsie and Beacon are a bit on the dumpy side..
but those are just small cities, easily avoided..but the overall region is still really nice IMO..

Actually, the West side of the Hudson I think has a different feel than the East side in that area..
East side is much more developed..West side is nicer IMO..
so when I think of my idealized Hudson Valley, im thinking New Paltz, Catskills, West Point, Storm King..
not so much Poughkeepsie, Beacon and Westchester suburbia..

but I still say its a very nice region overall..

Scot

Yeah stuck. I'm finishing my bachelors degree in nursing and those programs are different everywhere so I can't really transfer. Plus my apartment is really nice and affordable right now. But you are correct I'm not a Dutchess native but have lived all over Westchester and Dutchess Counties. I can definetly agree New Paltz is very nice as well as all the surrounding areas on that side of the river. If I had to stay around here for whatever reason I would move somewhere outside of New Paltz and at least own some property.

Pougkeepsie was awful. When I lived there I had my car stereo stolen out of my car (parked in a well light driveway between the police and fire stations), we caught someoene stealing the ac from a bulding across the street, there was a man always sleeping on the church's steps across the street, and I was constantly offered drugs or to have my car puchased from me. Beacon is the same. The towns in the middle are acceptable, they are losing what charm they had due to more people getting priced out and moving north as we speak. However the area just doesn't have much to offer, I guess just not for me. Dutchess is way to far from the city for it to be anything less than a day trip now. I'm more of a city person and theres just never anything going on of interest where I am now. Everyone here seems to have that NY "I'm better than you" attitude, (which I understand because I was lucky enough to grow up in a wealthy area of Westchester) so I know it well, but I'm over it, it seems really out of place in the country too. Every other state I travel to people are so much more helpful and friendly in general. Here and moving south you just don't get what you pay for, homes, apartments, condos, are just too expensive for what you get. Its just not worth it.

yeah, I know the attitude well..
I had college friends from Westchester county! ;)

I just never knew "the attitude" had spread so far north..but im not surprised.
well, IMO, the further you get from NYC the more "real" the people become..
I grew up in a small Southern Tier town (Waverly, NY) and im now out in Western NY..
no big city attitudes out this way! ;)

and housing is CHEAP...although we make up for it with ridiculous property taxes..
but even with the taxes, it *still* ends up being cheaper overall than many other parts of the country..

I have a $700 a month mortgage with $500 MONTHLY property taxes..for $1200 total..
the tax rate is insane..

But! My cousin in Oregon has a virtually identical house with a $2100 mortgage and $300 in taxes..
so his tax rate is much lower..but he pays much more overall, for the "same house", because the house itself is so much more expensive..so overall we still come out ahead, even with our infamous NY state property taxes..

personally I love New York City..but I would never want to live within a 50 miles radius from Manhattan..

Scot

Wow, aside from taxes thats really not all that bad. I'm already paying $800 just for 1 bedroom rent right now. I'm kind of enjoying the privacy I have out in the country though. It is really nice too because it is a split up house so we have land that we can use for having bbqs and outdoor parties in the summer and all that good stuff. I wouldn't have that opporunity in the city or any other city for that matter.

But don't you all have to deal with insanely cold weather for even longer than we do? I don't know if I can take it any colder or for a longer duration. I've also never been farther north than Albany, so I don't have a clue.

yeah, its actually not bad at all!
we complain about the taxes, but compared to other parts of the country, our prices are sweet..

that $700 a month mortgage plus another $500 in property taxes buys you:

1900 square foot 2-story colonial.
3 or 4 bedrooms.
full basement. (so three stories really)
2 car garage.
half an acre property.
For about 150K.

try doing that in California! ;)

I wouldnt say the climate is radically different..
its not that far away! ;)
if you are within 20 miles of Lake Ontario or Lake Erie, you get more snow..
but Southern Tier and Central NY is about identical to the Hudson valley,
in terms of temp and precipitation..

Adirondacks can be colder..due to elevation..
but overall NY state doesnt have any major climate differences..

Hudson Valley is ceraintly no different than Central or Western NY.

Scot

Back