Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From Kalamazoo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello From Kalamazoo!

Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo.

Nice to be part of the group here! Just got into CP's... Got my beginning collection delivered yesterday direct to southwest Michigan.

I bought 2 VFT's- a "standard" one, and a "red pirhanna" variety,
    a cape Drosera "wide leaf", and an S. Minor pitcher. I'm already looking at getting more.

Any advice on these plants for a newbie?

I also got a copy of The Savage Garden (which I've heard is the bible of CP's), so anything that's in there I'll learn in short fashion.

My first round of questions:

1) My S. Minor is flowering. Should I cut the flower off to get more pitchers after it's "run it's course"?

2) I'm gradually putting my plants in full sun for longer and longer periods out on my patio (with them in a south facing window the rest of the time). Any advice on acclimating these bad boys?

3) How long should I wait before I can start feeding them and what prey items should I try?

Thanks
    Last edited by adnedarn; 05-21-2010 at 05:13 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kalamazoo.. never heard of it.

Just kidding. I used to skate at the K-Zoo SkateZoo all the time. Used to be one of my favorite skateparks. Glad to see another MI CP collector. Too bad your in the ghetto though..

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! Sacage Garden is excellent guide.

My first round of questions:

1) My S. Minor is flowering. Should I cut the flower off to get more pitchers after it's "run it's course"?

Personallly, I would take a picture and then cut it off. It won't produce seeds without other pitcher plants around.

2) I'm gradually putting my plants in full sun for longer and longer periods out on my patio (with them in a south facing window the rest of the time). Any advice on acclimating these bad boys?

I would put them in the shade or under something for a couple weeks, first.

3) How long should I wait before I can start feeding them and what prey items should I try?

Food finds them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by massmorels View Post
    Too bad your in the ghetto though..
    LMFAO great response.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyedPiper View Post

Thanks
    1) you dont have to cut the flower if you dont feel like it, if you want seeds then let it flower...

2)just stick em out in full sun and leave em, theyll be fine....

3)dont worry about feeding them, they will catch plenty of food themselves....

welcome to the forums and the hobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kalamazoo.. never heard of it.

Just kidding. I used to skate at the K-Zoo SkateZoo all the time. Used to be one of my favorite skateparks. Glad to see another MI CP collector. Too bad your in the ghetto though..
    Yeah, with the economy bad and all it's getting worse. I had to call the cops the other day because I saw someone stealing patio furniture off of someone's porch across the street. If that happens to my plants I will NOT be happy .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol.. Hey EVERYONE, in Kalamazoo the STOP signs don't say stop. They say,"Wouldn't Stop If I was You!" The only thing good about that city is the MBC (Michigan Brewing Company).. Could be worse, at least you don't live in Detroit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol.. Hey EVERYONE, in Kalamazoo the STOP signs don't say stop. They say,"Wouldn't Stop If I was You!" The only thing good about that city is the MBC (Michigan Brewing Company).. Could be worse, at least you don't live in Detroit.
    GEEZ! It's not THAT bad. What parts did you visit? The North side?

It's actually a pretty hip town. I live in the historic district next to downtown. We have the lowest crime rate in town- partially because it's the smallest neighborhood and also because the cops patrol it constantly.

If you want to see BAD around this part of the state try Battle Creek, Benton Harbor, or Flint (also known as the butthole of the universe). Those are industrial towns like Detroit though. Kzoo is a College town like Lansing.

But I digress...

What's the Michigan Brewing Company? You mean Bell's? They make some of the best beer in the world. Literally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast