What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New sort of new to CPs and sort of new here

Hi all!

I just recently got back into keeping CPs. More specifically, CPs native to North Carolina, my state. I have currently, a venus fly trap which has a very curious trap. It appears to be a double trap, or a trap within a trap. Its very intriging to say the least. I also have a purple pitcher plant. I got both from Lowe's as my dad works for the cooperate office and I have a good discount with them. I have yet to take them out of the plastic boxes that they sell them in but plan to do so very soon, so don't fret. I am going to make them a mini bog garden.

I am not only here for tips and suggestions, but am here because I am sort of new at this. My last VFT died because I planted it in some Miracle Grow Peat Moss instead of the recommended Canandian peat moss. I am such a novice at this. I guess you learn from your mistakes, eh?

Most importantly though, I don't really have a clue as to how I should go about making a mini bog garden for my still alive CPs. Do I just grab a container and mix in some peat moss, a little bit of sand and douse the whole thing with water when done? Do I need some sort of circulation for the water? Does it need to be fancy?

Welcome to TF! I'll let the experienced guide you through a bog. I only use buckets as mini-bogs.

Welcome! Bogs can be pretty simple and still work; undrained container, CP-safe media, plants, water. There are a few modifications that some forumers have made that I'd look into though.
One is to take a smaller plastic tub (like some tupperware or a storage box) and punch some holes in the sides, then bury it in your bog (with the lid on) so that there's a sort of bubble at the bottom with no media and just an empty space where water can gather. I believe it was Presto that first came up with this, but I might be wrong. Whoever it was, they also put a sort of snorkel on their tubs, a piece of plastic pipe going from the top of the bog to inside the box, so that they could look inside to check the water level and add/remove water directly if necessary.
Another is to add a fountain pump and circulate the water - Bugweed was the first I remember to make a big deal out of this, but I'm sure plenty of other people came up with the same idea without his input. It really does seem to make a difference, especially in warmer climates, but since you're keeping plants more or less native to your area I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Do make some considerations for drainage. If some nasty stuff gets to growing in the bog water, you'll want a way to get it out without having to take the whole thing apart. The tub idea is good for this, or you can just insert a section of pipe all the way to the bottom of the bog and drill some small holes in it or cover the bottom end with fiberglass window screen to keep the media from washing back into it.
Best luck,
~Joe

Back