What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grettings from Portugal

Hello community,

My name is Ricardo Miranda and I'm passionate about the cultivation of carnivorous plants. In order to share this admiration, I gathered several Portuguese growers and founded the CPPC - Comunidade Portugesa Plantas Carnívoras (Portuguese Community Carnivorous Plants).

I'm a landscape architect and usually I work with many different plants, but the carnivorous plants are intriguingly different and interesting. I started in this world a few years ago and from all genres, my favourites are the Sarracenia and Nepenthes. I also like a lot of the portuguese native plants. It is very difficult to protect effectively the carnivorous plants that grow in the landscape of my country. But I think it is a common problem to us all.

I see that this is a great community, with members from many countries. I hope to share my experience with you all, and make friends.

howdy dude,,,enjoy your visits here,youll find lots of helpful friends here.
welcome

Welcome to TF!

Thanks for welcome!

For the member who dont know my country, I show this photos with the native species:

HPIM1716.jpg

HPIM1717.jpg

HPIM1718.jpg

HPIM1720.jpg

HPIM1723.jpg

HPIM1725.jpg

HPIM1727.jpg

HPIM1730.jpg

HPIM1731.jpg

HPIM1732.jpg

HPIM1733.jpg

HPIM1734.jpg

HPIM1735.jpg

HPIM1737.jpg

HPIM1738.jpg

HPIM1740.jpg

HPIM1741.jpg

HPIM1744.jpg

HPIM1745.jpg

HPIM1746.jpg

HPIM1749.jpg

HPIM1750.jpg

HPIM1752.jpg

:welcome:

Great pictures! When I saw where you were from I was wondering if you would have seen any Droso!! Do you know if these plants are near some large body of water?
Andrew

Welcome to Terraforums!

Great dewy pine pics. Very cool native CP to have around.

The Drosophyllum, as you already should know, is a peculiar case in the world of carnivorous plants.
Various Portuguese populations that accompany its development, the characteristics are always the same.

They grow on hillsides facing south. As the dry conditions and without any water to the surface, the roots grow in very deep to reach the source of groundwater. It is common to find during the winter the surface water channels resulting from rain water reunion and springs water that only see in winter season. In windy zones but protected by the bushes.

The soil is very sandy and dry at the surface but in depth is more compact and slightly moist.

The temperature varies, at summer the day is very hot and night is cool, in winter is normaly snow in their period of dormancy. The sunrise in these regions is accompanied by fog when it was reported that these plants take the opportunity to absorb this water.

I hope I have clarified the situation of Drosophyllum and answered your question Andrew ;)

Friendly,
Ricardo Miranda

Hello Ricardo,

What are the other species of sundews you posted? I'm curious!

Thanks Ricardo. That information actually follows exactly what I have read from others that have seen them in nature. I had one of my plants that I was not watering at all, it was only getting any water from my fogging system (testing the watered by fog theory) and it was actually growing pretty good. Until our monsoon season started and my fogger didn't need to run as much to keep the humidity up, then the plant dried and died before I even noticed it.
Thanks again =)
Andrew

Last edited:
Welcome RicardoM!!!nice to see you here also =D

Welcome to TF!

Welcome!

Back