What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deeloc

Student of Life
Hi,
I've recently started looking into raising CPs again. I grew up in Hawaii, raised orchids, bromeliads, tillandsias, and everything that I could get to grow. My parents did purchase me a Flytrap and that sparked my interest. Within a few months the local nurseries were bringing in other species of CP (all in the cup lid dome over the pot). I acquired a butterwort, Sarracenia purpurea, a Drosera Capensis, cobra pitcher, and another variety of sundew. I had them in a terrarium at first, then I got a big steel bathtub from my grandfather and capped the drain, filled it with peat, and planted my collection in there. I moved away to college, and the S. purpurea was the last to survive.

I always wanted to raise the Nepenthes. I may be getting one tomorrow. I hope the green thumb is still attached. But as all things, its bringing back memories, and I'm already trying to figure out what I want next.

How is the So. Cal weather to the species that need a dormancy period? I was never successful at that, as in Hawaii we don't have seasons.

Welcome!

My Sarrs appear to have overwintered last winter just great (kept their pitchers but had a good sleep - vft's too kept their leaves) and are growing awesome this summer, and I expect another great winter for them!

I've been keeping all my neps out in the sunshine for half the day too (intermediates, hl's...uhl's when it isn't getting up to 85+) and the cephs and helis too.

Welcome!

My Sarrs appear to have overwintered last winter just great (kept their pitchers but had a good sleep - vft's too kept their leaves) and are growing awesome this summer, and I expect another great winter for them!

I've been keeping all my neps out in the sunshine for half the day too (intermediates, hl's...uhl's when it isn't getting up to 85+) and the cephs and helis too.

That's good to hear about the Sarrs and the VFTs. So they should be good outside over the winter. I'm going to get a N. Alata tomorrow (was having doubts, but want it bad. lol)

You have a huge collection thez_yo!:0o:

Yeah, everything carnivorous I've got is outside all the time 'cept for the uhl's and helis in the real heat of Aug/Sept starting this May (and the petiolaris dews are usually inside cuz they like it a touch warmer at night; the uhls and helis are in during the day to stay in the AC at ~75ish degrees). Haven't overwintered neps outside yet in San Diego, but I'm going to keep a good eye on them this winter and see how it goes.

I think if you kept Sarrs in the full sunshine in SoCal all day, with our dry air, you'd scorch the tops off them, so I'm kinda glad the roof blocks the sun half the day (no direct sun morning til about 1PM). I was having scorching problems when they were getting sun from morning to 1:30ish PM every day.

SO cal weather is fine!

I grow everything outside except for one nepenthes.

Heck, its gotta be better than the upper midwest :lol:

Welcome to TF!

Welcome to TF!

Thank you all, been searching the site and waiting for my friend to send one of my CP books from AZ. I did get that Nepenthes; will get some pics of it to ID it.

Back