Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CP newbie needs urgent help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

Here's a picture of my updated system, with the complete decor:

D. prolifera is dead, but the other plants are happier. N. bicalcatrata is sprouting new pitchers from the base. The flytap has sprouted many leaves and tripled in size, but they are all a light green colour, possibly because of the sodium light. Drosera capensis is great. Heliamphoras are great, which makes me wonder if I can handle Darlingtonia in this system. The large N. ampullarias haven't changed a bit, though. Still no new pitchers.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your plants took a shock and are working back. Did you throw the prolifera out? If not leave it. I have had my proflieras die all the way back to the roots just to come on strong after a few weeks.

Is the fan blowing on the plants or just circulating the air? Drosera do not like to much wind and will not 'dew' if there is much wind blowing by. This gives them a very haggard look.

It is good to meet you!
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Unfortunately I did. My bad. The prolifera didn't seem to die from the initial shock though, but (I assume) from too much water. While all the other plants were getting better, it was getting worse.

I switch on the fan when there's too much moisture in the tank. Yes, I have noticed the dew evaporating. I am planning to bore a permanent hole on the cover and fix a fan there, so that the air won't blow directly to the plants. I got my fish too, I'll be keeping a young silver arowana in the tank for a few years (until it grows too large.) I also have a black ghost knifefish, which is very shy and always sticks to the nautilus shell =)

So, from my experimenting, I can tell that sodium discharge lamps suck! They distort carnivorous plants. Metal halides are much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they are, but be careful about the heat they tend to put out. It is to bad about the prolifera. I will send seed as soon as possible, but that will be awhile. Like I said they tend to die back to the roots at times. it may be the plants rebuild period. PM your address and I will get some to you as soon as possible.

Rose
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    Yes they are, but be careful about the heat they tend to put out. It is to bad about the prolifera. I will send seed as soon as possible, but that will be awhile. Like I said they tend to die back to the roots at times. it may be the plants rebuild period. PM your address and I will get some to you as soon as possible.

Rose
    Thank you very much, Rose. But I live on the other half of the planet, so you really don't have to send anything.

Here is a step-by-step photo album I've prepared, in case anybody is interested:

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...cpZZ2QQtppZZ20

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12