Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member from Fort Wayne, IN USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Member from Fort Wayne, IN USA

Hello all. I wanted to introduce myself and say THANK YOU for the mass amount of information in these boards.

I am a beginner in the CP world and currently have a VFT and some Pitcher plant seedlings. I am hoping to increase my CP collection as they interest me greatly.

I recently purchased a mini greenhouse to help me along. Seems to be going good so far

Thanks again for the resources you all offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooray! A fellow Hoosier. Welcome to TF!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! I will take any advice you can give I have not been too successful as of yet.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

I have this setup currently on my desk in the house to see if I can get these to germinate.
    Made one slight mistake (Which I can't undo) I put a SLIGHT bit of covering over the seeds
    instead of placing directly on the surface.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

My Outside setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will find that the minigreen house is not needed. And actually will probably cook the plants during hot days. Sarracenia and VFT grow find outdoors here in Indiana. You will need to find a dormancy plan though because our winters are too cold for them to stay outside all winter long. They can take frost, and it actually helps them go into dormancy. Do some searching for dormancy on this site and find a method that suits you. Or if you are not finding what you are looking for by searching existing threads, you can always start a new one. The greetings thread is probably not the best place to talks tips since nobody will be searching for them here.

Here are my outdoor plants a month or two ago...

The seedlings can stay indoors for a year or two, but need to experience dormancy after a year or two or they will most likely die. Or so I have been told. I have never attempted to grow temperate plants indoors for more than a few months (during winter). I take them all out in the spring after thier first year. I would remove the top cover as well on the seedlings. This will probably cause the soil to go bad and will rot the plant.

Again, post some Q's in the other boards and you will get input from quite a few experienced growers. Most better than myself.
    Last edited by dashman; 10-13-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man those are nice! I am VERY impressed!!!

The planters you are using, Are they self wartering? Did you start them from seed?
    Sorry for the direct questions. I will hit up the threads for more info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most have a small water tray at the bottom. My favorite one has a gallon reservoir built in, but I haven't found any more like it. Some people on this site make thier own bog bowl.

It's all on this site waiting to be discovered. Kind of feels like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory don't it. LOL.

Most of the ones in the picture were not started from seed. There are some in there from seed, but the larger ones were not.

Some of my larger ones were received when they were probably 1-3 years old which is usually still small. Others I got as divisions from fellow CP'ers. The largest pitcher in the pic, the green S. flava bending over, I received when it was making tiny pitchers about the width of a drinking straw and only a few inches. I have had it for 3 years.

Ask away, I just didn't want to hijack your welcome thread with growing tips. No worries.
    Last edited by dashman; 10-13-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: can't spell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see more people from IN! You'll be swarming with CPs before you know it
    You'll find the forums very informative!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far I am having a tough time getting anywhere with them. I hope that you are right though
    Currently I own Dormant 1 VFT, 1 Dormant Sarracenia & One Purple Pitcher
    I am a Warrior... Soldier at heart, but I love the CP World. Support Leads HOOAH!

http://www.cafepress.com/LifeGrowsfromLove

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast