What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Virginia

Wire Man

Sphagnum Guru
Another CP enthusiast from the furthest north part of Sarracenia flava's range.

I've been a fan of CPs for many years now, but just got back into growing them last year. We've bee having a harsh winter, but the North American natives seem to be holding up well. The sundews have practically disappeared into the peat.

Anyways, some of you may know me from other forums because of my artwork. Here's my online gallery;
http://death-pony7.deviantart.com/gallery/

Welcome to terraforums!

Really nice ocarinas, and excellent wire work. :) Really cool stuff.

Thanks! I have a cephalotus inspired ceramics vessel that should be getting fired soon. Our kiln room at my university is kind of a mess right now.

DANG! IT'S THE WIRE AROWANA DUDE! SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME! how's the progress on that puppy? the second one that is?

Indeed, the one and only. It's almost done, just 7 more columns of scales to go! I'm right at the base of the dorsal fin, and it's getting heavy.

Welcome to the forum..
I love that koi btw

Welcome to TF!

Hey wireman. Enjoyed your pics, loved the squid ocarina!
I am in northern Virginia myself, give me a heads up of any Carnivorous plant events/ sights in the area if you know of any.

OMG HAI YOU'RE SO COOL! :hail:

Welcomeeeeee :)

welcome me Virginian too also

Hey wireman. Enjoyed your pics, loved the squid ocarina!
I am in northern Virginia myself, give me a heads up of any Carnivorous plant events/ sights in the area if you know of any.

There's actually a really cool facility just south of Fredericksburg called Meadowview Biological Research Station. They're doing a lot of work restoring natural habitats of the native pitcher plants. I visited them in the fall and was very impressed with the place. You can only get in by appointment though.

I didn't expect to see so many people from this state on here.

Hello, welcome to the forum! Yeah we, know about meadowview here :)

Welcome to the forums! I'm a Virginian as well. Spent the first 20 years of my life in the Shenandoah Valley.

Greetings and welcome to the Forums. I'm Winter Flurry and it is nice to meet you.

@Wire man: I have wanted to go to Meadowview for quite sometime, have not had the time to get down there though : / Glad to hear good things about it firsthand though!

@kahnli: I live about an hour from the shenandoah myself and lived right on it for most of my life. What town did you spend the 20 years in?

With so many Virginian's here, is there a Virginia area chapter of a Carnivorous plant group/society? Anyother local sites or nurseries worth visiting?

I grew up in Luray. Hooray for Luray. Planning on heading back in a year or so. Maybe not Luray but somewhere my profession will allow.

I've only been to Luray once, but I enjoyed it.

Ethologist, if you get the chance to go definitely do it! It looks small at first, but then you see how many throughs they have.... it's impressive.

Back