What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smitty

Plant Ninja
Good morning to everyone here at the Terra Forums. I thought I should introduce myself since I have been pouring over pages of your threads the last few weeks.
I am new to the world of CP's but not to growing plants in general. I find myself always searching for something new to germinate. I currently am cold stratifying some native Paw Paw tree seeds..but that isn't helping to beat the winter blues.

As for my CP collection...What started out as a Sun Dew/Fly trap/Pitcher plant rescue from lowes by my 8 year old daughter and I , is starting to shape up into a nice little collection in just a few weeks. She says she learns about them in school and is fascinated by the Bladderwort! I didn't even know what one was and was given an impromptu lesson on it's underwater traps.

I have a little bit of everything in the little plastic Lowes green house. Have a couple different types of pings and drosera as well as VFT's and Neps. I will open a thread later of the current setup.

So far I haven't lost a single thing and everything looks to be fairly happy considering that most are now just getting acclimated to their new surroundings. I look forward to moving forward with my collection and the new found Terra Forums. I will see you around the boards!

welcome, yay another nyer where in ny u from?

Thanks! I am located in a little town called Horseheads. 15 minutes south of Seneca Lake.

Welcome to TF! I know where Horseheads is!

I know Horseheads too!
(and I recently found out I have an ancestor who was part of the Army that gave your town its name!
I have a Great(X6) Grandfather who a soldier with the Sullivan campaign in 1779..)

im originally from Waverly..im up in Rochester now.
My parents and sister are still in Waverly, so I drive through Horseheads all the time..

welcome to the forum!
Scot

Why thanks for the welcomes. Nice to meet you both. When you tell people that you live in a town in NY called "Horse-Heads," They look at you with disbelief, unless your a fellow New Yorker.

Nice to see the forum has a strong NY following.

I used to make a monthly trek to eat at Tomasso's in Waverly. 20 minutes away and the food is great. Man, I think I may head down tonight!

Welcome to TF. Great to see another New Yorker here and I see you live right down the road for me in Bath.

Welcome to Terra! I grew up in NE PA about 50-60 mi below Binghamton.

As you've found, searching Terra can answer many of your questions. Another good place to look is Barry's faq and the 1st book to get is probably the Savage Garden.

If you have a cool basement, you can probably set up a growing area for highland plants and grow some Heli's, cool Neps and some terrestrial bladderworts that get 1/4" bladders (very cool!).

Enjoy!

Thanks Jayson, yea your right in my neck of the woods. Just 40 minutes away! Nice to meet ya.

Thank you for the Barry's Faq link RL. That is a informative site. As for the the Savage Garden....I am waiting for my copy to hit the mailbox right now!

I am contemplating using a room in the basement but right now the ambient temp down there is a scorching 50 Degrees! I suppose I could put my extra pellet stove down there for heat but that would be a detriment to my wallet just to keep a few cps through the winter. I guess the 4 tier mini greenhouse is what I am going to be using until I can fill it up. Thanks again!

Welcome Nerd! :-D

Eric, 50 isnt all too low, one u fill the 4 teir mini greenhouse with lights it should heat it up, either that or heating pads on the lower racks with fans that whould heat it well enough, i have one now and it fills up quick.

Right now I have the greenhouse set up in a spare bedroom upstairs. 72 degrees lights on, 63 degrees lights off. 60% relative humidity. Your right about filling up too quick, I'm already onto the second tier and more are on the way.

I think a greenhouse along the grape vines is in order this spring for the Neps. I am getting ready to start ordering some dormant Sarracenia to put on a table in the spring. Should be good times this year.

Thanks for the Welcome Exo!

Howdy and welcome to TerraForums.

Since you are new to CPs, I suggest you start off with easy CPs (Pinguicula Moranensis, Drosera Capensis, Nepenthes Ventricosa, etc)

I think a greenhouse along the grape vines is in order this spring for the Neps. I am getting ready to start ordering some dormant Sarracenia to put on a table in the spring. Should be good times this year.

Thanks for the Welcome Exo!

I would NOT recommend an outdoor greenhouse for Neps in our climate..
its just too impractical to keep a greenhouse warm in the winter..
(unless you dont mind paying $500 to $1,000 a month for heat all winter)
you basically have to abandon the greenhouse for the winter and move all the plants indoors..
and if you have the space for them indoors in the winter, you might as well just grow them there all year long! ;)

Greenhouses in our climate really only make sense to make it 50 degrees in March, and 50 degrees in October..(to extend the growing season for outdoor plants by a month in either direction)..but then they are ovens in the summer, and frozen in the winter..just not practical around here..

Scot

On the rack so far.

VFT
'Red Dragon'
'Dente'
Lowes rescue

Dews
D. capensis
D. aliciae
D. adelae
D. spatulata

Neps
Nepenthes ventricosa
N. lowii x campanulata
Nepenthes "Gothica"
Nepenthes sanguinea

Pings
P. 'Sethos'
P. moranensis "J"
P. 'John Rizzi'

Sarracenia- lowes rescue (said Sarracenia purpurea on the cube)

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

As far as the greenhouse goes, I meant to use it in the spring. Not during the winter. It will be a lean-to type. Almost Identical to this
http://www.advancegreenhouses.com/Halls%20Greenhouses/Silverline_128.JPG

Had one of these at the first house I ever bought and it was full of all sorts of dwarf fruit trees and such. Pretty much anything I came across I stuffed in there.
The species that need some dormancy will go in there to over winter and the others back inside the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from another New Yorker.

Welcome! Anyone who saves carnivores from ANY home improvement store is all right by me!

Back