Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from NY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from NY

Good morning to everyone here at the Terra Forums. I thought I should introduce myself since I have been pouring over pages of your threads the last few weeks.
    I am new to the world of CP's but not to growing plants in general. I find myself always searching for something new to germinate. I currently am cold stratifying some native Paw Paw tree seeds..but that isn't helping to beat the winter blues.

As for my CP collection...What started out as a Sun Dew/Fly trap/Pitcher plant rescue from lowes by my 8 year old daughter and I , is starting to shape up into a nice little collection in just a few weeks. She says she learns about them in school and is fascinated by the Bladderwort! I didn't even know what one was and was given an impromptu lesson on it's underwater traps.

I have a little bit of everything in the little plastic Lowes green house. Have a couple different types of pings and drosera as well as VFT's and Neps. I will open a thread later of the current setup.

So far I haven't lost a single thing and everything looks to be fairly happy considering that most are now just getting acclimated to their new surroundings. I look forward to moving forward with my collection and the new found Terra Forums. I will see you around the boards!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome, yay another nyer where in ny u from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I am located in a little town called Horseheads. 15 minutes south of Seneca Lake.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! I know where Horseheads is!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Horseheads too!
    (and I recently found out I have an ancestor who was part of the Army that gave your town its name!
    I have a Great(X6) Grandfather who a soldier with the Sullivan campaign in 1779..)

im originally from Waverly..im up in Rochester now.
    My parents and sister are still in Waverly, so I drive through Horseheads all the time..

welcome to the forum!
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why thanks for the welcomes. Nice to meet you both. When you tell people that you live in a town in NY called "Horse-Heads," They look at you with disbelief, unless your a fellow New Yorker.

Nice to see the forum has a strong NY following.

I used to make a monthly trek to eat at Tomasso's in Waverly. 20 minutes away and the food is great. Man, I think I may head down tonight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF. Great to see another New Yorker here and I see you live right down the road for me in Bath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Terra! I grew up in NE PA about 50-60 mi below Binghamton.

As you've found, searching Terra can answer many of your questions. Another good place to look is Barry's faq and the 1st book to get is probably the Savage Garden.

If you have a cool basement, you can probably set up a growing area for highland plants and grow some Heli's, cool Neps and some terrestrial bladderworts that get 1/4" bladders (very cool!).

Enjoy!
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast