What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to and from Hawaii ;)

Z.Z.

Little Old Lady (LOL)
Hi everyone :)

Im new to this forum, and new to Hawaii as well :)

My husband and I will be buying a house sometime during 2011, and at that point I will begin my dream garden.
A friend of mine from another forum invited me here so I could see which CPs would grow here, so here I am :)

Its nice to meet everyone in advance :D

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Well that turned out to be a colorful post...
Im not used to smilies being automatic ;)

Welcome! :-D

Being from hawaii, you automatically have the abillity to grow some truely awesome Nepenthes outside year round. ;)

Thanks Exo :)

Im looking forward to growing things here to be sure ;)

Welcome!

Welcome!

Wish I were in Hawaii too!
(Where were you before?)

Also... what kinds of CP's do you have?
& What are you hoping to grow?

Again, welcome! :-D

I love your AV.. (I have a bunch of orchids)
Welcome to the forum!

Thank you :)

I was in Orange County California before, but my husband go tlaid off from his job and couldnt find another one in California, so he accepted a job offer in Hawaii and now were here ;)

I dont have any CPs, or any of the plants I had in California, Hawaii does not allow plants to be shipped here due to the islands small size and the ease with which invasive species take over.

Im hoping to grow anything I can get ;D

Thanks again :D

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

I love your AV.. (I have a bunch of orchids)
Welcome to the forum!

Thank you, it was a free pic from a stock photo place online :)

So far we have purchased 3 orchids, and one was given to us from hubbys office.
I removed them from their pots last week and placed them in wooden baskets so they would feel more at home, and a neighbor gave me some little ones she had spontaneously growing in her yard, so I mounted them on a piece of wood and they seem very happy with that :)

Thank you for the welcome :D

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Ok, Im hooked.

I just got done looking at all the photo threads for each family (?) of CPs, and I have decided I want them ALL!

The tall beautiful pitcher plants are amazing, Ill bet you guys dont have any bug problems at ALL :D

The dewy ones are just beautiful, and the flowers are incredible on all species of CPs, especially the orchid like ones.

Im in awe.

I mean WOW!

Now I need to find a CP grower on Oahu....

;D

"Now I need to find a CP grower on Oahu...."

ZZ - Hi, and welcome. I think I can help you out on this one. I live in Mililani and would love to help you get started on your CP collection (non CPs too if you are interested). Please PM me and we will set something up.

Keith

GASP!

Oh wow!

How fun is this gonna be!

I wont be able to start until we buy a house , but we will be looking during this year, our lease on this house is up next January.

Im in Kaneohe right now, not sure where I will be next year, but I would dearly LOVE to meet you both!

Welcome to TF! And I'm nowhere near you! But I have traded with both Keith & Mach. Ironically, I can do this with the Pacific Ocean in the way. thousands of miles apart.... but can't toss a box of plants over the border into Canada, just 25 minutes away!

Next time I'm in HI, I want to meet more of you guys for sure too! :awesome:

Welcome to TF! And I'm nowhere near you! But I have traded with both Keith & Mach. Ironically, I can do this with the Pacific Ocean in the way. thousands of miles apart.... but can't toss a box of plants over the border into Canada, just 25 minutes away!

Thank you, its good to be here :)

You can send plants to Hawaii?
I thought there were strict rules about that in Hawaii?

Why cant you send plants to Canada?
Do they have rules too?

Im confused...
:blush:

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

We could all have a Hawaii CP party!

Im in!
:-D

There are more issues with sending plants form Hawaii to California, Texas, Arizona, and Louisiana due to need to be coming from a certified nursery and found to be free of burrowing nematodes. Receiving plants in Hawaii is less problematic, need to be free of soil, diseases, live insect pests or noxious weeds (State of Hawaii Noxious weeds, although interstate movement should prompt the USDA
Federal Noxious Weed rules as well) and not an orchid, grass or bromeliad (these last three can be imported but have permit requirements and conditions or will require up to a year in quarantine once it arrives).

MTF

Very interesting, I didnt know that.
I was under the impression that no plants could be brought to Hawaii without persission from the state.
All the plant catalogs I used to have wouldnt ship anything to Hawaii at all.
Hmmm, so I may be able to get the silver fern after all....
Cool :)

Thez_yo: or any member for that matter, please make arrangement to stop by if you find yourself on Oahu.

Keith

Hi Z.Z.!

Welcome aboard. Good to see you here. Now you can appreciate my....er...humor (if you can call it that) in TWO places.

Lucky you.....or not! LOL

So what have a created by inviting you over here....yet one more caught in the obsession...

Bad Dave, bad. :D

Thank you, its good to be here :)

You can send plants to Hawaii?
I thought there were strict rules about that in Hawaii?

Why cant you send plants to Canada?
Do they have rules too?

Im confused...

Hawaii is viewed as being USA and therefore legal to ship plants to and from the 2 States. Even though the climate is very different, that's okay. In contrast, even though Ontario, a 25 minute drive to the Peace Bridge, is essentially the same, it's a different Country. Obviously, the folks that make up the rules haven't taken everything into consideration! I've gone back and forth with Mach a few times, with no issues. I shipped to Keith, once. No problems. I don't dare attempt a shipment to Canada.

Hi Z.Z.!

Welcome aboard. Good to see you here. Now you can appreciate my....er...humor (if you can call it that) in TWO places.

Lucky you.....or not! LOL

So what have a created by inviting you over here....yet one more caught in the obsession...

Bad Dave, bad. :D

LOL!

I appreciate your humor no matter where it is honey ;)

Im very happy that you invited me here, there are a lot of plants I want in my garden that I can find here :)

"Bad Dave, bad."

Oh I dont know about that, but we can find out.
Should I roll a D6 or a D10 for it?

;D

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Hawaii is viewed as being USA and therefore legal to ship plants to and from the 2 States. Even though the climate is very different, that's okay. In contrast, even though Ontario, a 25 minute drive to the Peace Bridge, is essentially the same, it's a different Country. Obviously, the folks that make up the rules haven't taken everything into consideration! I've gone back and forth with Mach a few times, with no issues. I shipped to Keith, once. No problems. I don't dare attempt a shipment to Canada.

Hmmm....

I wonder if I could have the mainland nurseries ship plants to a friend in California then have them ship it to me in Hawaii?

I ask because most mainland nurseries will not ship to Hawaii, and that bums me out...

:-))

all depends on what plants you are looking for. some things are here just need to look and ask. :)

I have been dreaming about my garden :)

It will have waterfalls streams and ponds
Flower colors of black, purple, blue, magenta, green and white (fragrant)
Foliage colors of black, silver, bluegreen, green, chartruese and cream (scented)
Mushrooms, fungi and lichens
Mosses, baby tears and dychondra
Orchids, ferns, air plants and carniverous plants
Other flowers that attract butterflies
Water lilies, lotus, iris, and other bog plants and aquatic plants
Pines and flowering trees
Fruit and nut trees (orange, tangerine, lemon, grapefruit, avocado, coconut, macadamia, cashew, almond)
Kitchen herbs and veggies
Frogs and salamanders, and maybe some fish

And probably a bunch of other stuff too ;D

I know, I dream big :D

Back