User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 9 to 16 of 16

Thread: I'm new to all this

  1. #9
    eou812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use natural sunlight. Now to this day i get as much direct sunlight on them as possible each day. I give them about right now 10+ hours of direct sunlight a day. I used to use artificial lighting for my tropical carnivorous plants but i have never for my outdoor hard Noth American carnivorous plants. You can use artifcial lights but you have to make them really bright and you will not get the best health and colors out of them compared to natural sunlight.

    Sorry but i don't know what you mean by off weeks? It's ok to get a day or two of no sunshine because in the wild it happens to them also. I also am in a very simular climate as to where flytraps grow in the wild (North and South Carolina). I live in Metro Atlanta, GA so yes not that far away form where they grow (about 50-70 miles maybe) so not that ig of a difference. I really only have to keep the dead growth off and water them with pure disstilled water and rarely when it gets 20 degrees F. or below for two or more days at a time i have to protect them because in the wild they are underground (their roots) but mine are in pots so the pots do not have that much of protection as they do in the wild. So that is all i have to do keep them sitting in very pure water, protect them sometimes, clip off dead growth to keep fungus and mold away, and depending on the pot size repot them every year in early Spring.

    Ean.

  2. #10

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eou812 View Post
    I use natural sunlight. Now to this day i get as much direct sunlight on them as possible each day. I give them about right now 10+ hours of direct sunlight a day. I used to use artificial lighting for my tropical carnivorous plants but i have never for my outdoor hard Noth American carnivorous plants. You can use artifcial lights but you have to make them really bright and you will not get the best health and colors out of them compared to natural sunlight.

    Sorry but i don't know what you mean by off weeks? It's ok to get a day or two of no sunshine because in the wild it happens to them also. I also am in a very simular climate as to where flytraps grow in the wild (North and South Carolina). I live in Metro Atlanta, GA so yes not that far away form where they grow (about 50-70 miles maybe) so not that ig of a difference. I really only have to keep the dead growth off and water them with pure disstilled water and rarely when it gets 20 degrees F. or below for two or more days at a time i have to protect them because in the wild they are underground (their roots) but mine are in pots so the pots do not have that much of protection as they do in the wild. So that is all i have to do keep them sitting in very pure water, protect them sometimes, clip off dead growth to keep fungus and mold away, and depending on the pot size repot them every year in early Spring.

    Ean.
    I most likely will grow mine on my fire escape. The thing is we often have varying weather in NYC and I wonder if this would be hazardous for the plant. So far according to our forecast its supposed to rain straight through till Friday. We haven't been having the sunniest summers these past few years. Since I'm new to growing VFTs I wonder if they would be happier under a artificial lighting?

  3. #11
    eou812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just leave them outside if i were you. You can put them under the lights if you want to until it sunnys up but remember they grow in North and South Carolina. But overall i would leave them outside.

  4. #12
    scottychaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jane_new_vft View Post
    I most likely will grow mine on my fire escape. The thing is we often have varying weather in NYC and I wonder if this would be hazardous for the plant. So far according to our forecast its supposed to rain straight through till Friday. We haven't been having the sunniest summers these past few years. Since I'm new to growing VFTs I wonder if they would be happier under a artificial lighting?
    Jane,
    your VFT will be much much much much much much, and did I mention, much? better off outdoors on your fire escape, then it will indoors under artificial light..not even close, not even debatable..

    dont worry about the cloudy weather this week..its completely and utterly meaningless..
    when it comes to growing CP's, you cant think in terms of days or weeks..those are far too short periods of time to concern yourself with..you have to learn to think in terms of seasons!

    NYC will get plenty enough sun April - October for your plant..
    which way does your fire escape face? if it was a clear day, how much sunlight would that spot recieve? In the fall, you will have to think about winter dormancy, but thats a ways away yet..for now, keep your plant outside, and it will do fine..

    Scot

  5. #13
    eou812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Jane,
    your VFT will be much much much much much much, and did I mention, much? better off outdoors on your fire escape, then it will indoors under artificial light..not even close, not even debatable..

    dont worry about the cloudy weather this week..its completely and utterly meaningless..
    when it comes to growing CP's, you cant think in terms of days or weeks..those are far too short periods of time to concern yourself with..you have to learn to think in terms of seasons!

    NYC will get plenty enough sun April - October for your plant..
    which way does your fire escape face? if it was a clear day, how much sunlight would that spot recieve? In the fall, you will have to think about winter dormancy, but thats a ways away yet..for now, keep your plant outside, and it will do fine..

    Scot

    Listen to him also.

    ---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

    The best place to face it would be South If it is North you should try to find a different place same thing t=for a East facing place. The best place to put it is where it is facing South another option could be West but South is usually best.

  6. #14
    Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona USA
    Posts
    8,432
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I went ahead and added a bare root D. capensis to your box. So don't leave it out in the mail box.
    Enjoy,
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

  7. #15
    Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Zone 8
    Posts
    5,594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Welcome to TF! I was born in the Bronx. Hard to find decent pizza in WNY!
    I just watched TMNT2 the other night and the opening scene made me crave some NY pizza.

    xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

  8. #16

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I went ahead and added a bare root D. capensis to your box. So don't leave it out in the mail box.
    Enjoy,
    Andrew
    Awesome!! Thanks so much Andrew :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •