Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm new to all this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm new to all this

Hi Everyone,

I just got a VFT and I can use some help. I read some basic care info and am now looking for some supplies to start.

Where can I get mineral/ fertilizer free peat moss and perlite? Help much apprieciated

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

perhaps i should also mention that i'm looking forward to re-pot my VFT. I'll probably place it on my fire escape so it can soak up some sun.. hopefully NYC will get some soon. So whens the best time to do this? I got my VFT about two days ago. EXCITED!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jane_new_vft View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I just got a VFT and I can use some help. I read some basic care info and am now looking for some supplies to start.

Where can I get mineral/ fertilizer free peat moss and perlite? Help much apprieciated

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

perhaps i should also mention that i'm looking forward to re-pot my VFT. I'll probably place it on my fire escape so it can soak up some sun.. hopefully NYC will get some soon. So whens the best time to do this? I got my VFT about two days ago. EXCITED!!
    Well, you can get the peat and perlite from Flytrapshop.com....the store attached to this forum. Peat can be bought at garden centers and places like Lowes, but mineral free perlite is hard to find these days.

The best time to repot your VFT is when they are dormant, but you can do it now as long as you are gentle, it wont set it back too much.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! I was born in the Bronx. Hard to find decent pizza in WNY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! Good to see another NYCer on this forum... I'm in Brooklyn. Tough to find good growing supplies around here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Well, you can get the peat and perlite from Flytrapshop.com....the store attached to this forum. Peat can be bought at garden centers and places like Lowes, but mineral free perlite is hard to find these days.

The best time to repot your VFT is when they are dormant, but you can do it now as long as you are gentle, it wont set it back too much.
    Do what he said he knows what he is doing.

Welcome you will certianly like it here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Hey jimscott and TheFury. I love how everyone is supper friendly in this forum!! I followed Exo and got some peat & perlite from Flytrapshop.com. But where do you guys get your growing supplies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get my peat moss from my local Lowe's and i get about 2 bales for $4.00 to $5.00. The perlite i get from a local nursery. They have organic perlite. Supposed to be the best for flytraps. But here it is a little more expensive. They sell it for about $11.00 or $12.00.

Ean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ean oh wow that seems pretty cheap, kinda wish i was in bklyn now. I don't think there's a Lowes around me. There's a Home Depot around here but they pretty much only sell miracle gro brands. I see you grow VFTs, do you use artificial lightening? What do you do on off weeks? We wont get much sunshine this week.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jane_new_vft View Post
    @Ean oh wow that seems pretty cheap, kinda wish i was in bklyn now. I don't think there's a Lowes around me. There's a Home Depot around here but they pretty much only sell miracle gro brands. I see you grow VFTs, do you use artificial lightening? What do you do on off weeks? We wont get much sunshine this week.
    @TheFury and @jimscott I forgot to mention this question goes out to you guys as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast