Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New to the Forum, about a year into CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to the Forum, about a year into CP's

Hello all.

I am about a little over a year into this hobby. It all started with a lowly Dionaea in a death cube.

One day as I was wandering the local hardware store I came across their rack of doomed CP's, on a whim I purchased a nice looking VFT. Being the obsessive researcher I am I proceeded to try and learn all I could about VFT's, this naturally led me to a ton of information about other CP's.

The hooks were starting to sink in.

As fate would have it there is a man in town who grows CP's and sells them to the local nurseries. Withing a few weeks of me getting the VFT I happened to be driving by one of those nurseries and it had a sign advertising "Carnivorous Plants". I picked up a Sarracenia leucophylla(red form) and a Drosera filiformis and the hooks here set.

I have since acquired an additional VFT, Sarracenia psittacina, Sarracenia purpurea, Sarracenia leucophylla(Tarnok), Darlingtonia californica(attempting to save from a death cube), and countless Drosera(Florida red) that started coming up after dormancy broke this year.

And now picture time, which if you're like me is one of the best parts of these forums.

This is the guy that started it all, still going strong. Heavy rains splashed it with dirt which is why it looks, well, dirty.

This is D. filiformis

This is S. leucophylla, this is from a couple months ago, it now has 6-7 full pitchers and several growing ones.

This is the second rescued VFT. It's been in the bog for a few months now. Seems to be doing well, you can see in the above picture which is a couple months old the difference in growth. It is the VFT on the right.

This is S. psittacina. People have pointed out that it looks like a hybrid, it may be, I'm not sure.

And finally is the small D. californica I am trying to grow. I know they like cool roots, I'm not doing it. This is more of an experiment to see if it will grow with the rest of the collection.

Last edited by parker679; 05-27-2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice work with everything! looks like you've got the basics down with the temperate species! will you stick with these or move on to the tropicals?

--and, yes, your "psitticina" is a hybrid. true psitticina have completely domed heads, not much different from what you see in cobra lillies sans the tounge.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!
    Ooooh, everything looks great!
    And I reallyyyy wanna say your hybrid is a Dixie Lace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the Dixie Lace grow more upright and have a more pronounced lateral openings. I emailed the grower with a picture to see if he remembers what the hybrid is.

@amphirion: So far, aside from the D. californica, I just tried sticking to plants that could grow in my region. I leave them all outside year round and only provide water as needed.

I would like to get a nepenthes, though I understand they need a greenhouse to keep the humidity high enough.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what do you mean by death cube

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was being facetious. Im refering to the containers you see at most stores with cp's. Usually a plastic box with horrible instructions on taking care of the plant. They arrive at the store looking great and after a couple weeks tend to start dying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the hybrid, I posted the pic on the "identify this plant" section. I also emailed the grower.

The hybrid is S. psittacina X S. alabamensis, aka Doodlebug.