What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Guys and Gals!

Hey everyone! I am a long time invert/reptile/anphibian fan. I recently considered getting carnivorous plants when a friend recommended that I put them in my dart frog tank. After some quick internet research, I decided that I should not put them in my dart frog container, but put them outdoors. Here in sunny Southern California, the worst we get is a light frost (maybe once every 2 years). Could I grow tropicals outside?

I am here to learn more, so I might be asking alot of questions.

Thanks in advance,
Nicolas

It really depends on on the type of plant. Some, like sarracenia or venus fly traps, need to be outside most of the year, regardless of where you live. In your location, there are a ton of other plants that would be happy outside, but you'd best ask some of the other growers in your location. I'm sure they'll give some advice on this thread.

Welcome to terraforums, and happy growing!!

It really depends on on the type of plant. Some, like sarracenia or venus fly traps, need to be outside most of the year, regardless of where you live. In your location, there are a ton of other plants that would be happy outside, but you'd best ask some of the other growers in your location. I'm sure they'll give some advice on this thread.

Welcome to terraforums, and happy growing!!

Thank you for your quick reply!

Welcome to the forums! I'm new here too and I also live in Southern California. :D Have a great time.

I don't see why you couldn't. Some of the hardier crosses can be grown outside all year round provided that you take special measures when it's going to be too hot or too cold as long as you provide them with enough water and humidity. My friend Jeff grows ventricosa x maxima (red leopard) outside all year round and there are many such examples. You may also want to check the site "Nepenthes Around the House".

Welcome to TF!

I have my eymae hanging under a branch outside. It's doing fine as well as my other nepenthes. They will die back if they are just put outside however, they will start their new growth just as fast. Just put them under a little shade and have them for 3-5 hours of direct sunlight.

Back