What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hi there friends!

Hello!:wave: My name is Iuliana, I am from Europe, Romania, i've just joined this forum 'cause in march this year i have bought 2 CP a VFT and a sarracenia purpurea venosa and needed some help with them.
These are my plants:
P1080696.jpg

P1080695.jpg

P1080693.jpg

P1080692.jpg

and my newest addition unknown sarracenia the one in the right
P1080694.jpg

Iuliana.. that's fun to say.

What sort of help are you needing?

hi mass! i was wandering if my VFT is attacked by some fungus or something because of the leaves blackening, it kills me to see my plant dying like that. I know my plants are not looking too good, i am new to CP's, i am researching at the moment on how to keep them happy and healthy.

Iuliana,
actually, your plants look good!
the browning/blackening of the VFT leaves looks like perfectly normal "leaf old age" to me..
as individual leafs and traps get older, they simply turn brown or black and die off..as long as newer traps are coming in to replace them, there is nothing to worry about..once the leaf is more than half black, you can just cut it off..(as long as the plant is healthy, you can cut it off any time really..)

looks like you are growing your plants outside? that is good! :)
outside is MUCH better than inside for VFT's and Sarracenia..
I just googled the climate of Romania..looks like you have fairly cold winters..looks quite similar to my climate actually! ;) If the majority of your winter days are spent below freezing, you will need to create a safe place for winter dormancy...there are many methods those of us in Northern climates use to keep our CPs sleeping comfortably through the winter..check out my web page (link in my signature, below) for some ideas..

So far, looks to me like you are doing things fine..are the plants in peat moss? how much direct sunlight are they getting? and what are you using for water?

Scot

Welcome to terraforums!

Hi and thank you all for replying! That is not peat moss looks like it, actually it's something called neopeat or cocopeat this is the only information about this soil i managed to get http://www.neopeat.com/neopeat.htm in my city is hard to find soil for CP's people here don't grow this kind of plants. The plants are getting 7-8 h of direct sunlight, for water i use distilled water. So far the sarracenia is doing the best i started with just one purpurea venosa and now i have 3 of them :D

Welcome to TF! You may also want to take a look at CPUK, as you may find more hobbyists from Romania or reciprocal agreements for trading pants. Key word is 'also'.

Back