Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central Texas

You are getting sleeeepy...very, very sleeeeepy.... JennB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Central Texas

Hello! The fly population is booming at my house right now and yesterday I came online searching for diy fly traps. Of course, a link showed up in the list for a venus fly trap and on a whim I clicked on it just to look at the pictures. I've always thought these lil guys were fascinating but too hard for the average person to grow. Looking at one site lead to other sites where I oohed and aahed over the gorgeous pictures of all sorts of cps and started thinking maybe I can learn to grow these! I've done pretty much nothing today except read up on these plants and now I'm just thinking what the heck have I gone and gotten myself into But I still want to do it!

I live in central Texas, Lampasas, which is about an hour from Austin and Ft. Hood/Killeen. Is there any chance anyone knows someone or a group local to me that might let me pick their brains?

Looking back on your experiences what do you wish you'd known "then" that you know now?

And most important, of course, is what plants should a utter noob like me start with? I don't have a greenhouse and it's very hot, dry and windy here but it's been suggested that there are some that might grow outdoors even here? What do you think of VFTs and Sarracenias to start me off?
    Jenn
    Last edited by JennB; 11-19-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: NOOB mispelled Sarracenia lol

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! Another Jenn with 2 N's (as a Jenny just walked by....)

I don't live in Texas, but there are many that do. I am a Cowboys fan, however. I've also been to Dallas, Plano, Amarillo, Lubbock,... and love this restaurant called, "The Big Texan".

Experiences: Life experiences in general, or limited to CP's?

I would recommend easy window sill plants like D. binata, D. capensis, D. spatulata, Mexican butterworts.

As to VFT's & Sarracenias, I'd say that you'd just have to keep on top of making sure they are hydrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey jimscott, thanks for the welcome!

For experiences I was thinking along the lines of learning from you more experienced growers of cps, perhaps beginner mistakes to avoid and so on, but if you feel like expounding on your life experiences in general I'm game
    Jenn

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Jenn and welcome to TerraForums. I saw your post on the ICPS proboards and was going to suggest you join here also. You found your way here on your own.

There are a number of CP growers in Texas that hang out here now and then. If you can get in touch with Mike Howlett, who is a naturalist at Jesse H. Jones Park and well known in the CP community, he should be able to give you some information to CP sites in Texas. There are several Sarracenia sites.

Other than that browse through the topics and most of all the stickies and plant articles pinned at the top of the forums. These will point you to Barry Rice's FAQ, the ICPS website and several other growers sites and pages on cultivation tips.

A DIY funnel flytrap would be much more efficient than a few Venus Flytraps although not as challenging or (maybe) fun. Plans for funnel traps are easily found on the Internet. Venus Flytraps are not very efficient at pest control.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jenn,

If you're wanting to control flies, I'd suggest acquiring some sarracenias. Each of the pitchers can hold a huge number of flies and are grown similarly to flytraps (in fact, many people just grow them in the same pots). Just make sure they're sitting in water and your conditions will be perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello NaN and mato! Thanks for the info! Yes, I'll be saving up hubby's big soda bottles to construct little funnel fly traps, not relying on cps, but in the warm months at least the cps will have plenty to eat
    Jenn

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF You came to the right place to learn what you need to know.

What I wish I knew then that I know now? Put the blinders on when walking past the CP booth at a Saturday Market because these things are addictive and no turning back. Looks like you are becoming one of us now I started out with 3 sarrs and a flytrap several years ago and now, well, can't get enough and have a huge outside bog garden full of stuff and just starting to get into some tropical CPs.

Oh, I checked and there is no AA equivalent for CP addicts. But on the other hand, I do consider my CPs my prozac.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Venus Flytraps are not very efficient at pest control.
    But it's kinda fun watching!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast