Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Michigan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from Michigan

Hello, I have been growing carnivorous plants for a while now, it was probably 40 years ago when I lost my first Venus flytrap because I was a kid and didn't know they needed a dormancy, our hard tap water probably didn't help either.

I'm gonna guess I have been growing nepenthes for 10 years now, I started growing them about a year before Fredrik Meijer Gardens (here in Mi.) opened up the carnivorous room and I got to meet Peter D'Amato from savage gardens and got my first nepenthes Rokko plant. I still have a cutting growing from that same plant.

Now I want to take it to the next level and try seed propagation (I got bored of cuttings) I just purchased a couple of nepenthes Belli last week. Problem is I just figured out both plants are probably cuttings from the same parent and will be the same sex in fact I have a feeling I might have a hard time finding a male & female nepenthes Bellii. I want to grow smaller nepenthes that will grow in a 55 gallon tank as Michigan winters are very dry (furnaces tend to try out the house) I have a few other small nepenthes lined up that I would like to play with.

Anyways, I like what I see & read here, good stuff.
    Dan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoot me a PM or email Dan. I live just outside of MSU..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome! i currently live in grand rapids, and have volunteered at frederik meijer gardens many times!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacher93 View Post
    welcome! i currently live in grand rapids, and have volunteered at frederik meijer gardens many times!
    Is Steve Lewere still there ? My memory thinks that was his last name, he tought me a lot about nepenthes. When did they open that carnivorous room ? Must be 10 years now I met Steve before it was open to the public, he showed me the propagation room for the carnivorous plants, I thought I died & went to heaven ! That was before the display was up & going, I imagine the carnivorous greenhouse propagation room is smaller now.

Dan

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to terraforums! The meijers CP room really is great. Still very big! http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128107
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Welcome to terraforums! The meijers CP room really is great. Still very big! http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128107
    Nice pics ! Brought back memories

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! I spent time in Ann Arbor in grad school... it reminds me wonderfully of home (home is VT despite living in SD now)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast