What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newb From Ohio

Hello All,

My name is Scott. I am from Cincinnati, Ohio. I am new to the hobby with the exception of a failed attempt to grow CP's when I was younger. I've since then read some books and read alot on this forum and am ready to give it another shot. My first plant will arrive today. I am starting with N. Ventricosa growing indoors under a T5 fixture inside of an aquarium. Wish me luck... Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!:-D

Welcome to the forum, Scotty. Make sure to post some pics of your set-up when it's complete.

Welcome, Scott! I'm your neighbor to the northeast. I'm sure you'll get great advice and help here on the forums.

In my experience, a lot of people go overboard with their terrarium setups for Nepenthes. I have a nice south-facing bay window that gets direct light about 4 hours a day. The Neps just love it there. My N. ventricosa sent out its second flower spike in two years. Must be happy even though humidity is pretty low in the house. That is to say - start off with the terrarium, but get another plant (like I have to convince you!) and mess around with different conditions and see what works best for you.

And, by the way, the Ohio Carnivorous Plant Society is planning a meeting for June 30 at the Kingwood Center in Mansfield. It's not near you, but it should be a good time with a lot of CP and folks to talk to. :) Best of luck!

Welcome to the forum Scott!

Welcome to TF!

Hails. Welcome to the forum. I love ventricosas. They are very nice looking plants. Easy too and can be grown as house plants. I agree with Kitor, if you can get another one try it as a house plant in a sunny window. And yes pics would be nice.

Back