What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am working on a beginner cp collection.

temperate stuff:

I have a dionaea that is growing well. age unknown but looks like 3 or so.

I have a d. capensis that is growing like a weed.

I have a d. capillaris that isn't really growing but not deteriorating.

I have a d. rotundafolia that just doesn't like to acclimate. It definately didn't like being shipped but there are still some green pieces to it so it's still in the game id say but ill be excited to see some new growth.

I like in central VA so the climate is pretty much native to these things. i mist occasionally and feed em 12h of direct sunlight per day. they have a self watering system that seems to work well. The dionaea has captured a bug while inside my house so there is a little hunting prowess already.

lowland stuff:

I have a n. bical. 3cm plant. doing well and showing a little growth despite my poor initial research.

It is in a pot inside a terrarium.....at first everything was simple but got complicated real quick but through it all my bical soldiers on. it is a red flush variety....

I bought one of those fish tanks with the aeration pump so i put a couple inches of rocks in the pot plus the height of the pot itself and put water inside the entire terrarium. the re-circulation/aerating pump did well by keeping the water from going stagnant and keeping the humidity up where the bical was happy.

I added a desk lamp with a 24w 5k florescent bulb and later found out it was dreadfully inadequate. i have a t5 florescent array in the mail that i had to buy a stand for...complication #1 & 2. it's funny as crap tho, despite the crappy light there has been growth and the plant is now moved about 15 degrees on a forward facing angle towards the desk light...i swear one day im going to see the thing against the glass. lol.

At first I relied on ambient since the season is warm here but there were too many temp fluctuations so i purchased a submersible tank heater. not only did it keep the temp constant but the humidity is also constant however I turn it off at night and let the temp/humidity fluctuate some....i figure there are temp fluctuations in the jungles of borneo at night too. lol. complication #3.

thought all was under control until i notice an abundance of brown algae...flushed and wiped everything down and installed a uv sterilizer. complication #4.

also read that air circulation is most important so luckily i have a fan and fan controller on hand...complication #5.

at this point I am a little frustrated $$$ wise and said what the hey and sprung for a small c02 system and need to fill the tank once it shows. complication #6&7.

I'm still waiting on the t5 array, the t5 stand, the c02 system and haven't finished modifying the new clear plex top for the evacuation fan. for the hell of it im going to get some fungicide jic.

room is limited so i only have a 10 gal terrarium and with all the equipment i now have to maintain the environment; i hardly have any room for additional neps :(.

once i get it all done ill post initial rough pics and once im satisfied all is well i may try my best to add garnishing to the terrarium.

im pretty much outta q's except one: what do you guys recommend for fungicide? i hear alot of types/ingridients are harmful to cp's.

Welcome to TF! Neem Oil is one recommendation.

Welcome and good luck with your plants! :)

for someone just saying hi, you made a pretty big first post :D
you can water your plants with diluted hydrogen peroxide to help battle things like algae and mold. its pretty safe to plants but not to the unwanted crapola

Welcome! bical's are awesome, definitely one of my fave neps. sounds like you're pretty well set up!

hey thanx....luckily the plant is tough and doesn't need intense light or my trial/error-as-you-go approach wouldn't have boded well for it.

Back