Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From St Petersburg FL :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello From St Petersburg FL :)

Hello everyone!
    Thank you for letting me be part of this great forum. I've always kept VFT ever since I moved to the states since I never had the space for any other plants. Now that I purchased my first house I can finally get what I want! "lol" I have Sarracenia's and drosera But just Recently fell in love with nepenthes. so Highland Green house it is. No worries I already can't sleep thinking on the money to keep a green house cool in Florida. "lol" Looking forward to learn from the members expertise on these beautiful plants.
    Last edited by Favian; 05-24-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try lowlanders. If I'm not mistaken (florida people strike me down if I am wrong) they can grow outside. May your collection and knowledge grow, as well as your plants !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Yes I believe lowlander do great in my area. I only have a Miranda that I rescued from a flea market. it had no pitchers. I keep it outside by my pond on full sun and is doing great. But I love the beauty of highlanders I have a N. Lowii x truncata & a N. robcantleyi I keep those in my room. I think N. merrilliana would be my next lowlander.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!
    Most lowlanders do great on windowsills too. And for HL neps, an easier and cheaper way to start might be an aquarium tank/ terrarium if you don't want to go straight to the greenhouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things I have learned:
    Don't count on rain- depending on how many outside plants you end up with (sarrs, drosera, pings even), you may need to invest in a RO filter or get setup with a water company to deliver a tank of RO water. If you only have a small tray full, then buying a gallon of distilled water as needed will be fine.
    The weather used to be reliable, but with shifting patterns it no longer is. A few years ago we had an unusual and devastating winter, and while last year's wasn't as severe, we had plenty of cold spells. A lowland greenhouse would fare better outside, but it will need heating in the fall/winter.
    If you have a spare room/space in your house, and central AC, then you go grow intermediates and highlanders easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iwest I'm growing my two HL on a windowsill, so far they ok. they are still acclimating. temperature's in the house don't go above 80F and at night i have a window unit in the room set to 60. tomorrow I'm picking up a humidifier to add to the room. Lizasaur I agree with you. the weather has been crazy so I'm even afraid of getting too many highlanders because I don't know what to do on the winter. I'm getting one of those greenhouse kits and set it up for highlanders with ac unit and misting system etc. But until I get that pine tree down I will keep them in my room lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally another Floridian. I'm no longer the only one. Welcome. I'm going to be building a special greenhouse for my highlanders too. Right not I have to to put them in a fridge at night which sucks for the extra work. You're not far from me. I'm from Tampa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thagirion! I work in Tampa Live in ST Pete. great to know someone lives close! wohoo! lol man for real? well I only have two HL and I keep the ac at 60 with the window unit i put in the room. during the day the room and the house stays around 80 since, they are on a south west window on a stand I made. & thank you for the Welcoming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast