Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Upstate NY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi from Upstate NY

Hi, my name is Ashley. I'm 27, married, with 4 kids and 2 German Shepherds. I am originally from southeastern Arizona, but my husband is active duty Army so we move a lot.
    Currently, I have 2 typical VFT's. I'm waiting for another 25 assorted in the mail, along with 2 sarracenias (leucophylla and judith hindle) then another S. Rubra, D. Spatulata, and P. Montezumea (sp? lazy and don't want to go look it up). Also some assorted open pollinated Sarracenia seeds and some other seeds I ordered.

I'm located at Fort Drum, NY, which is USDA region 4. Basically, it's really really cold up here from October to June. I didn't even get my tomatoes outside until the first week of June this year, only due to frost!
    Being that our weather up here sucks (if it's not cold, it's raining, if it's not raining, it's snowing, if it's not raining or snowing...it's 90 degrees and humid! haha) I have a 250w HPS grow light in my laundry room.

Looking forward to meeting everyone, though I see some from my other forum on here too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF. There are several folks from the hinterlands (Tony P, Exo, Jim Scott come quickly to mind) on TF and several more beyond that in Canuckville (did I spell that correctly?) (Peatmoss, Devon, Carnivore12 & others) --- so you have lots of cold-country company.

Southern AZ to Northern NY - the military sure has a sense of humor ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey! We have some stuff in common.... I'm from Tucson, Az... am into CPs... and also have a German Shepard. (Just rehomed her to us about a month ago...)
    Welcome to TF!
    Andrew

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! I am located in Brooklyn, NY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Hey! We have some stuff in common.... I'm from Tucson, Az... am into CPs... and also have a German Shepard. (Just rehomed her to us about a month ago...)
    Welcome to TF!
    Andrew

Haha, I'm from Willcox (ever heard of it) and lived in Sierra Vista for several years, then NY, then Colorado Springs, CO, then back to NY!

Here's my two blithering idiots.

Left is my male, Czech lines, female on the right, Am/German lines.

My mom has one of their pups that's 1 now, huge dogs. Yours is very pretty, nice color.

RL: They sure do. The first time I moved up here was from AZ, February 1st, 2008. Sense of humor for sure, I went from wearing a light jacket (maybe, if that) to freezing to death with snow banks taller than me - granted, that's not really tall, but still, quite a shock.
    I still am not very good at driving in snow.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, go to Wilcox every now and then, and have some friends down in Sierra Vista.

haha your dogs look like they have the energy of mine... our 8yo blind miniature Poodle really isn't up to it though. Your dogs look great, mine is coated (obviously) and has lazy ears... they stand up some times.... but mostly down. I guess it fits that name that came with her (Diva) more "pretty" and girlie with them down. But her bark and attention (with ears up) makes anything think twice about this Diva

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TerraForums Luckily, your temperate sarrs and VFTs shouldn't have too much of a problem with cold winters, they'll just go dormant and sleep right through the snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, not quite. When it hits -10 or lower I think they can't handle that. We don't get too much above 20F all winter, I'm just a bit south of Kingston, Ontario, Canada - maybe a 45 minute drive. They're coming indoors before the end of the month. You never can tell, last year was nice, but the year before, my kids were trick or treating in snow boots in 1 ft of snow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast